Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil-McLain Gold GV Series 4 Boiler Question on Circulator pumps.

Vivaldi
Vivaldi Member Posts: 12
My boiler has 2 pumps as part of it, located just above the boiler. The rear one is a System Circulator. The one towards the front is the Bypass Circulator.

The System Circulator pumps INTO the boiler, returning water from the system. This points the arrow to the right, when looking at the pump from the front.

Which direction should the Bypass Circulator be pumping, the same direction or opposite direction (when looking at the boiler from the front?)

Thanks

Comments

• unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    If no body touched it, it's right.
  • Vivaldi
    That's why I'm asking. I replaced the cartridge in the pump and want to be sure I reinstall it correctly.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Where does the expansion tank connect to the piping? The inlet side of the circulator should be closest to that point.
  • Vivaldi
    Thanks, SWEI, but you're on a different subject. I am asking about the correct installation of Circulators inside the boiler casing. I am asking "How does the manufacturer install the pumps when the boiler is new."
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited October 2015
    New information there, but my question is still relevant. A piping diagram should be provided which shows the expansion tank piping that works with the circulator orientation they show.

Be aware that in the past, a number of US boiler manufacturers installed circs on packaged boilers wherever it was most convenient for shipping. For all I know, some of them still do -- it's been years since we installed a new cast iron hot water boiler.
  • Vivaldi
    Thanks, SWEI, but I am hoping to find someone who has the same boiler, and can pop off the top and look at the direction of the arrows on the 2 Circulator pumps.
  • Vivaldi
    Thanks, but I have the manual. This shows the direction of the water flow into and out of the boiler. But my question is different. I am asking for the direction of flow that the 2 Circulator pumps should be oriented, inside the boiler casing. The manual does not show this info. The Bypass Circulator has a different function than circulating water outside the boiler.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    If you look at the parts diagram at the end of the manual, it look pretty clear that both circs would need to be mounted with the arrows pointed to the right. Otherwise the boiler would not send the heat to the system.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Vivaldi
    Thanks, Zman. Yes, I think that you are right. I wish the diagram showed the arrows.