Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fan in a Can questions

So I have a 2 family home with 2 gas boilers (one steam one forced hotwater) and 2 Gas hotwater heaters. This is very common in my area. The basements are around 35x30x7. I have been in so many of these houses yet none have any extra source of air like "fan in a Can". Was it not so common 20 years ago? Also do fan in a cans ever drop the basement temperature you can freeze the water pipes?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,163
    Chances are you don't need one... the use to which I think you are referring is the use of a "fan in a can" (what a name!) to bring in enough combustion air for the boilers. If the structure is sufficiently draughty, there is no need for one!

However... in houses which are really tight (whether originally or due to renovations) one may well be required.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • itzasean
    itzasean Member Posts: 71
    Is there any way to test to make sure its safe?
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    A technician can check for proper draft on the appliances with everything running and the doors closed.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    SWEI
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    What's the total BTU's of all the appliances, and which ones use the room air for combustion air?
    steve