Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Steam Boiler Installed-Feel Free to Comment

Options
2»

Comments

• j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    vaporvac said:

Why is iron out of the relief valve "no good". I'm replacing mine, but would like to know the reasoning. I never read this until recently or I would never have done it in the first place.

When you do replace it kinda make sure there are no bits of rust in the relief/safety valve...take the new one down to about 12 in off the floor...also it's a good time to check it....crap it's a 30 dollar item that's important

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    We pipe relief valve outlets in copper if it needs to look nice, and CPVC if the budget is tight. Generally a 6-10 minute job to install either.
  • cubicacres
    cubicacres Member Posts: 358
    Options
    Would you reccomend simply replacing the last run to the floor & elbow with copper or PVC just after the bronze-looking relief valve, or also the black steel nipple from the boiler tapping going into the relief valve?
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options

Would you reccomend simply replacing the last run to the floor & elbow with copper or PVC just after the bronze-looking relief valve, or also the black steel nipple from the boiler tapping going into the relief valve?

That was my next question! :) Whatever the answer, be sure to use a union before the RValve for easy removal!
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • LionA29
    LionA29 Member Posts: 255
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Is that an " air gap" on the BFP and why?
  • cubicacres
    cubicacres Member Posts: 358
    Options
    I think so-not sure why the installers did that. I think in November they said it would show if water was flowing through the gap, or was required by local code? The city inspector wondered why the brown wire was on the valve to keep it form closing, but that's another issue.

Is the copper or PVC final section of the relief valve that points toward the floor no supposed to be iron due to rust build-up/corrosion over time or dielectric union issues since connected to the brass relief valve?
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,672
    Options
    Yeah, you need that air gap to see if water is flowing.
    It's not like you'd notice the huge puddle on the floor or anything. :)
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,672
    Options
    Actually.

What is this entire thing about?
    Why is there an air gap?
    Why is there a pressure reducing valve?
    Why is there a section of black iron that totally bypasses the autofill? Normally you build a small loop out of copper in the same area.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 655
    Options
    An air gap is commonly used on the make up supply line to a boiler feed tank to serve as a fool proof back flow preventer.

If the supply side were to loose pressure and go to a vacuum, the air gap would admit atmospheric air and prevent any downstream liquid (feed water) from being pulled into the potable water supply.
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
  • Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 655
    Options
    In this case, the downstream pipe appears to be open to atmosphere, so it is a redundant accessory.
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.