Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Question about thermo-electric actuator wiring

whosawhatsa
whosawhatsa Member Posts: 9
I have recently hooked up my gas boiler to a radiant manifold, and everything works fine. Now, I would like to add some control over the individual loops using Caleffi 656314: http://www.caleffi.com/sites/default/files/file/01142_06EN.pdf . However, when I try to wire the devices, I am not seeing the actuator open as I expect.

I have it wired as follows, red wire from boiler goes to the thermostat; white wire from thermostat is connected to the brown wire of the actuator; the blue wire from the actuator connects to white wire on boiler. I am ignoring the black wires for now.

Is this correct? Could there be an issue with insufficient current? Any ideas? Thanks!

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    The zone valve should be powered by a transformer having adequate capacity. It is not likely that the one in the boiler is sized for the additional load. The boiler just wants a switch, like the black wires on the zone valve to tell it to turn on.
    Wiring these is much cleaner and simpler if you use a zone controller. Taco and other companies make nice ones.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,023
    How many actuators are you trying to power?

The best way is to use a relay board like this. If you use the Caleffi, you get a 5 year warranty on the components :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Zman
  • whosawhatsa
    Ok, I see ... I'll add the necessary equipment. BTW, I'm powering 4 actuators, but have only tested on one, just to see how/if it works.
  • whosawhatsa
    Forgot to say thanks! :#
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,023
    Those take a few minutes to fully open. You will see a green ring appear on top when they start opening.

You can manually open them for quick purging.
    Aalso when manually opened they "make" the end switch, two black wires, for testing pump operation or call for heat.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream