Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

gas steam radiator system replacing boiler should I clean out system?

Options
Hello,
I have a gas steam system in my home. I will be changing out my boiler in a couple of weeks.
I have heard you should run cleaning agents through the system before installing new boiler.
Is this correct? If so what cleaning agents should I use and how do you do it?

Thanks

Comments

• Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    I wouldn't run "cleaning agents" thru the system.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,335
    Options
    The most positive thing you can do is make sure that any wet returns are reasonably clear of sludge, gunk and grime. The best way to do that is simply run fresh water through them to wash the stuff out. Since you are replacing your boiler, now is the ideal time to make sure that you have adequate cleanouts -- T's with plugs or valves -- on them to make that simple.

There is no need to clean dry returns or steam lines. It is rare to the point of being almost non-existent to fine much of anything in them.

There is no need for cleaning agents to do this. Fresh water is just fine.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    As Dan says it pays to wander off the wall. Here is some information about cleaning pipes in preparation for a new boiler. Be prepared it can be ugly in those pipes.
    https://heatinghelp.com/systems-help-center/how-to-flush-the-return-lines-on-an-old-steam-system/
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • MikeMens
    MikeMens Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Guys thanks for the feedback.

just to clarify when cleqaning our return lines you are just sucking out whats in theere, not actually flushing by adding water to returns?

Also, some say adding vinegar to the existing boiler, or a mild acid, then running it for a while will remove scale from supply and radiators, before installing the new boiler Is this recommended?
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    As has been said, use water to clean out the wet returns (those that are below the water line of the boiler) If using vinegar, you will smell it throughout the house for a while, when the boiler is running.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,335
    Options
    MikeMens said:

Guys thanks for the feedback.

just to clarify when cleqaning our return lines you are just sucking out whats in theere, not actually flushing by adding water to returns?

Also, some say adding vinegar to the existing boiler, or a mild acid, then running it for a while will remove scale from supply and radiators, before installing the new boiler Is this recommended?

Keep in mind that we are talking steam here, not hot water. There is essentially no scale build up in the mains, radiators, or dry returns, for the simple reason that the steam contains no minerals of any kind. If you were to add vinegar (or anything else) to your boiler, yes you would smell it -- but it wouldn't be carried into the system at all.

Ideally when you are cleaning the wet returns you want to flush them out. With water. But that assumes you can get at both ends of them fairly easily, and in many systems that isn't possible. Then the best you can do is suck out what's in there.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • MikeMens
    Options
    Thanks everyone you all are the outstanding
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    If you can access the wet return when the piping is dismantled you may be able to scoop out the sludge, or just replace the wet return section only if it's too bad. I undid my pipes and cleaned them really well since we were reconfiguring the wet returns anyway.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    Don't be surprised if you take some pipes apart and some of the threads aren't there anymore. This came off of my old boiler (32 years). I recommend rubber gloves.

2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    vaporvac
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options

This is what mine looked like, but I was able to get them quite clean after removal. Maybe you'll be lucky!
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • MikeMens
    Options
    Thanks everyone These are very helpful