Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Viega pex press fitting on other band style pex?

Options
wcs5050
wcs5050 Member Posts: 131
I don't trust hose clamp style pex connections utilized by watts, zurn, nibco, etc. brands. Anyone used Viega on these?

Comments

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    I've always been leery of crossing brand fittings and pex, but I see other guys do it.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,433
    Options
    As long as its SDR9 you can use the crimp/ cinch style.
    I prefer the copper crimp rings.
    Viega though harder to fine is a nice ring. Sioux Chief has a version of this.
  • wcs5050
    edited October 2015
    Options
    i feel the same way. thx.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    I don't think manufacturers would approve or honor warranty,

I mix and match pex fittings and various types of crimp rings all the time at my own place.

I like the stainless collars best for pex crimps, the Viega or Uponor if you can find them.

For pex barbed fittings, Sioux Chief has a wide array of copper type ells, tees, sweeps, stubouts, manifolds, etc. Reasonable price too. I suspect they OEM for many pex companies.

Beware of the no-lead and dezincification issues with brass, if you use pex fittings on potable water.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Triple s has a clamp that matches Viega where it crimps in 2 or 3 spots not sure.Viega tool works on it.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    As long as the correct tool was used and the PEX tubing meets the appropriate ASTM spec, a fitting manufacturer would have a very hard time denying a warranty claim.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    I think it's more the tube manufacturers that have warranty concerns.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • jonny88
    Options
    I do know that the supply house I use got the clinch type rings and were defective.They tried to be cheap and ordered a chinese brand and a lot of guys had leaks.Since then they changed model of ring and have had no problems.If it was my house I would go with Uponor ,Viega or one of the main companies.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Options
    Yeah, I try to CMA. Don't want to have to explain why I didn't use whatever brand pipe/ fitting system on a flood claim.
    jonny88kcoppZman
  • hot_rod
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of the cinch clamp, sharp, ugly. The only plus for installers is one tool fits all sizes.

It's a knock off of the original Oetiker clamp developed in the 1940. I think it was originally designed for softer automotive type tubing.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • wcs5050
    Options
    Exactly the cinch ring one might use on irrigation. That's where it belongs.
    Customer/aquantence ordered with the Radiant company in northern Vermont. They sent 2000ft of barrier Nibco and manifolds that look like something we might build out of ball valves, copper fittings, and comp pex adapters. No gauges, flow control, etc. Unimpressed. No design from them, just a "here you go".
    Anyway, I'm doing the tie in, setup, and commission and want to couple it with Viega since I already trust the system. Thx for the feedback.
    Oh yeah. They say we can use a water heater for space heating and that it's their preferred heat source. Nice. Guess they don't believe in boilers.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Options
    Bombardier uses the clinch clamp on thier marine product hoses, my PWC has a bunch. Who knew in 1989 that'd be something used for heating and potable connections!
  • jonny88
    Options
    Came across a water heater last night John Wood rated for potable or heating.I agree with sticking with the larger brand Viega etc.Remember a copper system is not cheap so now they started installing pex for quicker and cheaper installs.At least do it right.Homeruns etc.