Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sometimes, life sucks. More often when Chinese parts are involved.

ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
Last night around 11PM I go down to the basement for something, don't remember what and I see a puddle under my header.

The entire thing is soaked as I could feel heat through the insulation along the bottom of the entire thing. I pulled insulation off the areas I first suspected but by 11:30 I started thinking it was near where the risers drop into the header. I didn't want to pull more apart so I figured I'd let it dry out overnight, if that's what wasn't leaking.

I got lucky, it was only the bonnet. Why it was lose I have no idea but one was lose and leaking and the other was good and tight.

Matco Norca gate valves. At the time in 2011 these were the only ones I could find so I used them. After having to repeatedly tighten the packing nuts and now this I'm really thinking it was a mistake.

Did I ever mention how much I hate insulation? And now I have to deal with it again? :s

Good news is I don't have to pull the entire header apart.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Was the valve rated for steam?
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Most likely the expansion and contraction of the heating cycle caused the bonnet to loosen. Do you ever used these valves to do blowdowns? If not eliminate them.
  • ChrisJ
    JUGHNE said:

Was the valve rated for steam?

200WOG - 125SWP.

So yeah, they claim they are rated for steam but honestly the packing seems very questionable about the high temperatures.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ChrisJ
    Mark N said:

Most likely the expansion and contraction of the heating cycle caused the bonnet to loosen. Do you ever used these valves to do blowdowns? If not eliminate them.

Sadly, no I don't but I have used them a few times like when I had to work on a radiator and couldn't shut that valve off I just shut the main off. They have come in handy, but I have also considered getting rid of them.
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Why get rid of them.I am sure you do blow downs unlike 99.9%.I am sure that's why you put them in.I did my first king valve install under advice and if every customer would do it I would install on every steamer from now on.Graphite packing is good to repack stem.Honestly packing nuts on more and more valves are leaking so to the point that I tighten each one after install on steam or hot water
    HatterasguyChrisJupstateben
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Ball valves?
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Bummer!
  • ChrisJ
    jonny88 said:

Why get rid of them.I am sure you do blow downs unlike 99.9%.I am sure that's why you put them in.I did my first king valve install under advice and if every customer would do it I would install on every steamer from now on.Graphite packing is good to repack stem.Honestly packing nuts on more and more valves are leaking so to the point that I tighten each one after install on steam or hot water

No, no blowdowns, I do a yearly rinsing using the wand.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    I feel your pain. Every threaded fitting I have made up in the last 20 years, I have said a prayer. Moreso on the Asian stuff. You do your best and hope.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    I'm not impressed much with the quality of anyone's gate valves. Especially all the non-rising stem ones that exist today. Dead men used to use rising stem gate valves that worked for decades without leaking.
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177

I'm not impressed much with the quality of anyone's gate valves. Especially all the non-rising stem ones that exist today. Dead men used to use rising stem gate valves that worked for decades without leaking.

I hear ya on that but the Apollo rising stem gate valves are huge. And expensive, my supplier charges a buck and a quarter for 2"
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Chris was it the packing or the bonnet ? Those valves look pretty close together , did you have to pull a bonnet to swing it on there? Is that corrosion on that union?
    bob
  • jonny88
    No problem taking a valve apart.Union does look iffy.
  • ChrisJ
    bob said:

Chris was it the packing or the bonnet ? Those valves look pretty close together , did you have to pull a bonnet to swing it on there? Is that corrosion on that union?

jonny88 said:

No problem taking a valve apart.Union does look iffy.

Nope, valves spun on without taking them apart.
    The corrosion on the union is from the valve leaking into the insulation that was surrounding it. All of that was insulated before last night and the valve bonnet was dripping right down the front of the union.

Now I need to clean up the union as it's going to stay exposed as is the valve. We can't have a rusty union exposed now can we? :)
    jonny88
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    If you clear out that shelving, you could put a bar there. :smile:
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    @Paul48 A jug and an ice bucket would do.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • ChrisJ
    @Paul48
    While I'll admit I desperately need to organize the shelving I'd rather have tools and materials than a bar any day. :)

• BobC
    My shelving has parts from the late teens of the last century, so your shelving is absolutely pristine compared to mine - but I still have room on those shelves for a wee tipple, just like Gibbs does.

Bob
    3PSI gauge
    ChrisJ
  • Paul48
    Chris.........I wasn't commenting on the organization. I was kidding about the bar(next to the boiler). My basement is a disaster, tools and materials for every project imaginable. I am the type of person that will stop what i am doing, to go get the proper tool. I don't care what it costs. I look at it this way.......If I get hurt doing a job, how much did I save.
    ChrisJ
  • Paul48
    LOL.......Nope..........I carefully move the mess to the basement when I'm done. But, I really want to know.......Where's my freakin utility knife?!!!!! Any one of the 30 or so, I have in the house.
    SWEI
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    My shop and garage are pretty messy, but my best friends dad takes the cake. I can't even begin to describe the mess that was his garage. He ran a small machine shop business out of the garage and just pilled tools all over. I could never figure out how he got any work done. Anyway when my friend moved out of their house many years ago his dad said "If you clean up the tools you can have ANY duplicates you find". My friend is a neat freak (level OCD) so he viewed this as a challenge. So when he was done the entire garage was organized and he assembled 4 yes 4 complete sets of Craftsman mechanics tools. Rachets, screwdrivers, combination wrenches, torque wrenches (metric and standard). Now you are thinking how? Well apparently when his dad couldn't find the tool anymore he just bought another set and just kept accumulating them. So when you think your have a messy shop or garage think about my friend's dad and realize you aren't that messy.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • BobC
    "because the damn things grow legs and walk away"

Especially if you have kids!

I remember when my brother in law found his new anniversary edition hand saw out in the woods after several days of rain. His #1 son didn't walk right for a month.

Bob
    3PSI gauge
  • jonny88
    @Hatterasguy that crawl space has a habit of swallowing tools maybe the snakes are hiding them.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    I grew up around boats, somehow the Chesapeake Bay swallowed several of my Dad's tools. I swear I didn't do it though. ;) Oh and it was always something important like his tape measure or combination square, once it was his Stanley hand plane...he went swimming for that one.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    BobC
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    LOL, I'm not so bad about tools, although when I buy a new hand tool, I usually buy two, just in case. Heavy tools, table saws, Drill Press, jointers, those kinds of things I only buy one because I usually bump into them so I know where they are. ON THE OTHER HAND, spare parts, I stock multiples and then forget I stocked that part and order another one when I need the part. I have plenty of spare parts for Snapper, Husqvarna, John Deere, and Eastman mowers if anybody can't find a part, also parts for edgers, Billy Goat blowers, Burnham boiler, etc. I must say I do buy mowers in quantities of 2 as well. Nothing is more frustrating than to get the lawn half cut and the mower dies! Oh well, we each have our own cross to bear :)
  • ChrisJ
    edited October 2015
    I'm pretty good about not losing tools to be honest.
    My mind yes, tools no.