Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

handling a leak / callback

Options
smp74
smp74 Member Posts: 61
Question for the contractors:

How would you generally handle fixing a leakon a system that was installed about 10 weeks ago? Would the customer pay or would that be done as part of the install? Also if a purge valve was not installed where one should have been installed would you install one to make it right? Would customer pay for that or not?

I have a leak at an elbow fitting that has require placing a bucket under it. Also in order to purge the basement zone the pump flange had to be removed instead because a purge valve was never installed.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    A leak after 10 weeks on a fitting that was part of the installation needs to be fixed free of charge. The purge valve is not as cut and dry. That could easily end in a debate.
    I would try to get the owner of the company out and explain the issues you have had with the system and ask for the purge valve and repair. The system should be set up so that it can be purged without disassembly.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    RobG
  • smp74
    Options
    I'll call the office and ask. We'll see. Agreed, the purge valve is a bit of a wildcard. I would take care of that myself but I don't have the Viega pex crimper or fostapex stripper.
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options
    I had a 1" elbow leak after 2 years. I offered to remove & replace it totally free of charge. Took me about 3 hours to drain, fix, fill. That's totally warranty, no question. My pipes should outlive the boiler if piped and treated properly.

If I forgot or skipped a component that allows for routine service, I'd feel 100% obligated to sweat that in as well. Maybe I should start saving the cost of purge stations and boiler drains or isolation valves. That would really add up fast.
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • smp74
    Options
    This type of stuff is why I like this site. Thank you.

I called the office and said they are going to come out and fix the elbow and install a valve. This is supposed to be covered. We'll see how it shakes out.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    I stand by my workmanship for the first year, even if there is a defect in a part. Warranty part gets replaced thru the manufacture, and as we usually have to, eat the labor within reason
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Most states require a 1 year warranty on the new work. Some don't. I'd also question whether the use of Fostapex on the direct boiler piping is a good idea. Usually copper is used within the first 5 feet of the "near-boiler" piping.
    j a_2
  • smp74
    Options

Most states require a 1 year warranty on the new work. Some don't. I'd also question whether the use of Fostapex on the direct boiler piping is a good idea. Usually copper is used within the first 5 feet of the "near-boiler" piping.

I agree on the fostapex for near boiler piping. It really looks terrible. Unfortunately that's a lost battle on this one. The best course of action for this system would be to rip out the near boiler piping and re-do it in copper per the manufacturer specs. Not happening unless I pay that out of pocket to bring in someone else.

As for today, they're onsite fixing the leaks but I still had to point out that they missed fixing one of the leaks again before they left. Very frustrating. I have lost pretty much all confidence in this company. I will recommend that anyone avoid them in the future. Cutting corners seems to be the name of the game here. If it turns on and gets hot, then it's good enough.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    there's more where they came from. Caveat Emptor
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    what does your contract give you for coverage?
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    I give one year on parts and labor, period, no more, no less. After that the manufacturers warranty kicks in. It does always seem like it's the difficult clients that end up with Saturday night problems like the flood in their basement and you drive an hour each way to find a seeping packing nut. :(
  • smp74
    Options
    I'm going to go by the office on Monday (if they're open) and see about getting a copy of the contract terms. All I have on file is an accepted install proposal and an invoice. There are no warranty terms in either of those. This install is in MA in case that may be relevant for any state imposed terms.

This was most certainly not a seeping packing nut. I am not that guy at all. Several threaded joints were leaking around a circulator. Had to put a bucket under it to stop it from puddling on the floor.

Anyway, I expected them to install with pride and quality. That didn't happen.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    smp74 said:

I'm going to go by the office on Monday (if they're open) and see about getting a copy of the contract terms. All I have on file is an accepted install proposal and an invoice. There are no warranty terms in either of those. This install is in MA in case that may be relevant for any state imposed terms.

This was most certainly not a seeping packing nut. I am not that guy at all. Several threaded joints were leaking around a circulator. Had to put a bucket under it to stop it from puddling on the floor.

Anyway, I expected them to install with pride and quality. That didn't happen.

I did not mean to imply you at all, sorry for the misunderstanding. Call backs should be handled ASAP! They are a direct reflection of the company's ethics and integrity. I was just commenting on what an "emergency" is to some folks.
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options

Most states require a 1 year warranty on the new work. Somequestion whether the use of Fostapex on the direct boiler piping is a good idea. Usually copper is used within the first 5 feet of the "near-boiler" piping.

The great thing about foster pex and pex in general is the flexibility and home run thing....the bad part is the connections...There are way to many manufactures with different requirements.....fittings, connectors, crimp rings, tools, and such.....Honesty, black pipe and copper sweat, has been around for years and is proven.