Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

new to steam!! please help me out

13»

Comments

• budpln
    budpln Member Posts: 43
    4 bedroom 2 full bath 1300sqft I don't think alot of heatloss plus I'm getting more insulation put in so
  • Eastman
    Eastman Member Posts: 927
    Does it seem like any rooms are missing radiators?
  • budpln
    The 2 upstairs bedrooms upstairs don't have radiators the bathroom upstairs though and the hallway between the 2 rooms has radiator's I haven't lived there through winter so I'm not sure
  • Eastman
    What do you guys think about a Peerless 63-03L? Steam square feet = 233.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    I think I'd find an installer who would do the Radiator survey and install a Megasteam if it were my house. Peerless is a good choice also but sizing it is critical. If those two bedrooms have plumbing for the radiators but someone took them out, I'd be inclined to have the installer do a heat loss for those two bedrooms and size the boiler accordingly. Not sure why those rooms don't have radiators but not many people are going to want to stay in an unheated space, especially in the dead of winter and if they want the option of shutting those doors. You can always shut rads off or put TRV's on them but no heat at all is a bit worrisome.
    vr608
  • Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    Eastman said:

@Sailah
    By August 31st, you mean by August 31st 2015?

Yes, but the guys at Gas Networks told me it will be the same deal next year so I'm planning on doing it next summer.

Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
  • Eastman
    @Sailah
    So... After August 31st, do you have to wait till next summer??? What if you want to install in the fall?
  • budpln
    Just got an email that they received my request.. Took about 7 business days
  • Eastman
    @budpln
    What kind of insulation is on those steam pipes in the photos?
  • budpln
    Good question.. My guess, asbestos
  • Eastman
    Did you have an inspection done when you bought the place?
  • Eastman
    I'm just curious if anybody has looked at it that would know for sure.
  • budpln
    Yea the inspector was an idiot and incompetent I may sue..
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    budpln said:

Good question.. My guess, asbestos

That would be my guess as well, and it looks like asbestos was removed improperly and friable chunks have been on the elbow. A proper asbestos abatement would not have left any bit of asbestos behind on the fitting like that.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    budpln said:

Good luck, all inspectors have a clause in their paperwork that basically says they have no responsibility. When I bought my house I used and inspector just so I could get everything I saw in the report. His license was all I was really interested in and I told him so. He wasn't very friendly after that....of course after he realized all the stuff he was missing he got friendlier. I haven't heard of a good experience from anyone about inspectors. I have a friend who's brother in law is an inspector, yeah he screwed his own family...missed a TON of stuff.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    Canucker
  • Quercus
    Quercus Member Posts: 61
    Hi Budpin,

I had my house just a few years when my boiler sprung a leak and I was almost in your shoes. I had more time on my side since it was summer.

Anyway, 23 years ago I am your age and making the buy without the benefit of a site like this. I had 3 quotes and 3 different ways of sizing the boiler. I did not go with the heat loss guy but with the guy recommended by family. There was a big difference at the time for gas vs. oil boiler pricing. When I told the guy selling an oil boiler I was going with gas because it was cheaper he said "why didn't you tell me you were looking at gas?" Hey why didn't you tell me why you would do this for $400 less?

My point is that if there is a gas steam boiler meets your needs don't get worked up about the connection fee until you have the whole cost in hand. The time is a different story - you may be stuck with oil.

propane may be a temporary solution to get you through the season if you have your heart set on gas, but more $$ up front for the fuel and you will have to convert when the NG is connected. I don't have steam so I could be wrong on that idea.

My experience tells me that who you are dealing with is the primary concern. In 20 years, a 10% price difference won't matter to you.

Money and time wise, you may want to expedite by getting an unsecured loan thru your credit union or bank to get the ball rolling and pay that note off with the utility loan. That way you aren't freezing and staring at the mailbox. Make sure the utility loan will permit you to do it this way. Cash advance on a credit card is not cheap but you have an urgent need for the money.

Best of luck to you. You're asking good questions of good people. It's gonna work out for you.
    budplnSWEISteamowner
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    If you're seriously considering changing to gas, many oil fired boilers such as the Slatnfin Intrepid are approved for a gas conversion burner. In fact, the EZgas burner can be used with oil AND gas so you really have nothing to lose. However, please post pics to be certain the installer is appropriate.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • budpln
    Bring able to convert my boiler would be awesome
  • Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    Eastman said:

@Sailah
    So... After August 31st, do you have to wait till next summer??? What if you want to install in the fall?

I'm certainly not the expert on this subject so I would suggest calling Gas Networks to get a definitive answer. However, as it was explained to me, yes, you need to wait until next year for the rebate to reset. The paperwork needed to be in to the utility by Aug 31 and the install had to be completed by Oct 31 to qualify. My guy at Gas Networks said the exact same deal is essentially going to be in place next year.

I have 2 FHA furnaces that are older than dirt but they still work and passed the tests performed by Mass Save as well as the inspector when I bought the house in Sept. So it certainly is in my best interest to wait for the rebates.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
  • Steamowner
    Steamowner Member Posts: 19
    KC_Jones said:

budpln said:

Good luck, all inspectors have a clause in their paperwork that basically says they have no responsibility. When I bought my house I used and inspector just so I could get everything I saw in the report. His license was all I was really interested in and I told him so. He wasn't very friendly after that....of course after he realized all the stuff he was missing he got friendlier. I haven't heard of a good experience from anyone about inspectors. I have a friend who's brother in law is an inspector, yeah he screwed his own family...missed a TON of stuff.
    Is there a better alternative than using a Home Inspector? I'm not in the market for a new home but when I am someday I don't want to depend on a HI for the biggest purchase of my life. I suppose one could hire an electrician, plumber, structural engineer and mason to inspect each area but that really isn't cost effective.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722

KC_Jones said:

budpln said:

Is there a better alternative than using a Home Inspector? I'm not in the market for a new home but when I am someday I don't want to depend on a HI for the biggest purchase of my life. I suppose one could hire an electrician, plumber, structural engineer and mason to inspect each area but that really isn't cost effective.
    Can't really say that for sure. What if the inspector misses something that costs you 10k, 20k, 30k? The contractors look cheap then. I don't disagree with you on this just pointing out my experiences. I don't even know how to get a good home inspector (assuming there are some) because they are all licensed the same. The "governing body" isn't strict enough in my opinion. How about "home improvement" contractors. My father took the test in MD to become one, they give you the book when you take the test and there is no time limit (except for closing time). I could be a complete moron and get that license as long as I can find all the answers in the book. There are a lot of things "housing related" that are so screwed up it's ridiculous. Sorry for the hijack rant, I just get pretty passionate about things.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    A very good question, but I don't have an easy answer. We work occasionally with a home inspector here who is quite thorough. Combine us (potentially consulting with one or two specialty contractors) and we can probably do a decent job of it. How you find that in an arbitrary locale, I have no clue. It's not going to be cheap, but if it were my money I would find a way to make sure it got done right. I've seen far too many under-inspected properties that ended badly for the buyer.
    KC_Jones
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850

The fundamental issue with houses, is that the most sinister problems lie behind the walls. It's not easy to determine if water has accumulated, wiring has deteriorated, improper framing has occurred, etc. Even the best HI has a disclaimer that he cannot be responsible for what he cannot see.

No HI is competent to determine the condition and proper function of a heating or HVAC system. Either is works or it doesn't.

No HI is competent to determine the condition of an electrical panel and whether it is properly wired or not. He will only make a recommendation on the size of the service.

No HI is competent to determine the condition of the roof because he will never climb up there.

No HI is competent to advise on the suitability of the floor joists and whether they are adequate for the loads intended.

They take your $300. and they write a meaningless report with issues like caulk around the windows or the fact that the windows are single glazed. Effectively worthless.

Not true! I once saw a home inspector get on top of a 12ft high parapet roof! :#
  • budpln
    Well got the approval for the mass save loan for the work. Got the check from the bank same day as I got the approval!! Told my installer and he said he will be able to install it this coming week. He's installing the mega steam 296.. So I did end up going with a different installer cuz I wanted the better 86% efficiency and the $400 rebate hopefully all will go according to plan and I will be happy with my choice. I'll keep you guys updated.
  • Eastman
    What about the asbestos?
  • budpln
    I'm leaving it for the time being no reason to mess with it now
  • Eastman
    Sometimes when asbestos gets removed other things get removed with it.
  • Fred
    Do keep us posted. Hopefully you got a guy who knows steam and will install it properly.
  • budpln
    It begins guys I'm very excited!! The installer is down to earth and send very knowable I'm very happy with my decision last minute to go for the Burnham it looks awesome!
  • Fred
    Great!
  • budpln
    Ok guys the day has finally come to get my new boiler!! I had "my dear Watson" install the boiler and he did a fantastic job I found him on this website he was really good. very knowledgeable and you could 100% tell he knew what he was doing. the boiler is purring right along as I type this message. pictures are to follow! if you have questions fire away.
  • Fred
    Looking Good, Looking Good!
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Yeah! That is so cool @budpln ! Did they pour that concrete platform to get a good water level or was it there before I'm so glad you went this route. You won't be sorry and we're all looking for feedback further down the road. p.s. Thanks for the pic of the MST "naked". It was very interesting to see the insides. Still wish they approved it for gas. Colleen
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • budpln
    No the concrete slab was existing! The guy who built my house wanted it done right and theres alot of small touches like that everywhere. So far the ms is so quite compared to the v8 I'm amazed and it runs for a longer period of time compared to the v8 also the v8 was on and off constantly. when the mega steam shuts off it seems like it holds alot of heat and the steam doesn't really stop coming off it for awhile so the radiators stay warm a lot longer!! So far it's pretty ob the best thing I've ever purchased
    vaporvacRomanGK_26986764589