Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A hypothethical question regarding sizing circulators

Options
steamfitter
steamfitter Member Posts: 156
Does static head directly affect the sizing of a circulator in a hot water heating system?
If I have two identical hw sysytems with the same heat loss calculation, design the same hw heating system, with the same amount of piping, heat emitters, etc. with the only difference being that one space is vertical and the other is horizontal, would the circulators be identical?
Or would the vertical system need to be larger to accommodate the higher static head pressure?
As I try to understand the readings of hydronics, I am inclined to believe that both systems have the same friction loss/pressure drop. Therefore, the circulators should be identical. Am I missing anything?
Thank you in advance for your your input!

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You are correct both circulators would be identical in your example. Static head does not play a role in a "closed" heating system. Think of a Ferris wheel .
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,416
    Options
    gordy is right the Ferris real theory
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,251
    Options

Does static head directly affect the sizing of a circulator in a hot water heating system?
    If I have two identical hw sysytems with the same heat loss calculation, design the same hw heating system, with the same amount of piping, heat emitters, etc. with the only difference being that one space is vertical and the other is horizontal, would the circulators be identical?
    Or would the vertical system need to be larger to accommodate the higher static head pressure?
    As I try to understand the readings of hydronics, I am inclined to believe that both systems have the same friction loss/pressure drop. Therefore, the circulators should be identical. Am I missing anything?
    Thank you in advance for your your input!

That is a very common misunderstanding in closed loop hydronics.

Here is a good explanation on how to "see" it.

Idronics 12 is an excellent read for newbies and experts, there is always something to brush up on in hydronics. This is my handout at every class I teach now, regardless of the training request. It should be at every suppliers counter :)

http://www.caleffi.com/sites/default/files/coll_attach_file/idronics_12.pdf
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    steamfitter
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,379
    Options
    It is the job of the fill valve to introduce enough pressure into the lines to overcome the static head (gravity). The circulator only has to overcome dynamic head (friction). This is why the static fill pressure must be increased proportionate to the elevation.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    steamfitter
  • steamfitter
    Options
    Thank you!
    Appreciate you adding the role of the prv.
  • steamfitter
    Options
    Thanks, hot rod for the info!
    Idronics is awesome!
    Also, thank you guys for the ferris wheel picture. A classic from Dan's Classic Hydronics. I remember the idea, but was just having some bad case of the second thoughts. :(
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options