Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam heat pump combo system

First I want to thank Steamhead for coming down to Richmond and figuring out our steam system. Couldn’t have done it without his help. Now there are no problems and the heat is great. However, our 20+year old A/C is soon to be replaced and I’m thinking of going with a heat pump that would be more efficient on milder days reserving the boiler for colder times (many days in the 40-50 degree range). Does anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, or recommendations regarding the wisdom of a steam heat pump combo system? I don’t want to miss something the might seem obvious to the wall. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,090
    The only problem I can see offhand is that the air conditioning duct work is probably not the best in terms of sizing and locations of registers to work with heat. It should work -- but you may find odd cold spots or draughts where you don't quite expect them.

There is a control strategy problem to work out, but that should be doable with some fiddling with thermostats...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    edited September 2015
    Any Honeywell thermostat with an option of door air sensor and is heat pump rated should be able to handle that. No problems I run dual fuel at my own house with a heat pump and and hot water coil in the duct work fed from a boiler.
    Currently running a Honeywell Prestige.

Heat pumps are great for what you are trying todo. As long as duct work is correct for the house and size properly like stated above.
  • RVAsteam
    RVAsteam Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for your comments. We currently have Aprilaire thermostats (A/C -and heat pump to be- in two zones) and plan to have a separate unit for the boiler.