Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need company to replace steam boiler in northern New Jersey

Hello. I am a homeowner in Northern NJ (Bergen County) who has to replace my steam heat boiler.

I have been trying to learn about steam heat by reading Dan's books, and it seems like all of the servicemen I have had in don't truly focus on steam heat (they did not measure radiators--simply looked at the old unit and discussed replacement; did not look for venting in the basement along the mains; and said they would use copper piping around a new boiler. My old unit (dated 2007--I bought the house 4 years ago) has cracked and has a leak, has copper piping directly around it, and I am not sure it has a Hartford Loop.

The house was built in 1929, and the one serviceman who did ask to measure the radiators (and would use copper piping, but who said his company does not install boilers as large as mine)--said that I had 574 sq.ft. of steam. He peered through the radiator covers with a flashlight. I have column radiators and what he called "sun-rads", which were obviously installed to replace column radiators, as the imprint of the old ones is still visible on the floors. The system has been knocking, spitting steam from vents, etc. as long as I have had the house. I grew up in New York City, where we simply thought all of that came hand-in-hand with a steam-heat system. Now, after reading Dan's books, I know better--and want to make sure that my new boiler is installed a) properly and safely and b) that it will not die an early death, as this one did.

The current boiler is 225,000 btus. 2007. Made by CAC/BDP in Indianapolis. Series PSB-7D. ( As a side note: we recently installed a larger hot water heater and have to get the 1929 chimney relined.)

Any and all suggestions for someone to do the replacement are appreciated. From what I have read on the site, I think JStar may no longer service residential boilers (although I am crossing my fingers he might honor me with a consult!), and Gateway no longer services this part of New Jersey.

I was told by someone in the neighborhood to call Bolkema in Mahwah or a man names Jerry at Generation.

This is an unexpected budget buster for us (as I am sure it is for anyone!), and I don't want to make an expensive mistake by having a new boiler installed improperly. Any advice is truly welcome. Thanks very much!

Comments