Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

2-pipe configuration buffer tank sensor placement

Options
zavnet
zavnet Member Posts: 15
Take a look at the attached – which option makes more sense (option 1 or 2) for a system temperature sensor placement?

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    What does the rest of the system look like? Where does the 8 gpm go?
    It often makes sense to use the tanks well in order to read the temp of the water within.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • zavnet
    edited September 2015
    Options
    It goes to 3 circulators/manifolds…

The boiler in play here is Lochinvar WHN (not that it matters). My question was triggered based on the comment in the WHN install manual …”Typically the sensor will be located far enough downstream to sense system diluted water temperature”

To me option-1 is the more diluted location. Also, as an additional background the the image comes from PMMAG titled: Alternate methods to pipe a buffer tank… but it doesn’t get into the sensor placement details…

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    zavnet
  • zavnet
    Options
    Thanks Rich. The answer is the middle of the tank :) Shown in issue 17, bottom of the page 34, very similar to my use case.

I'm using a Caleffi tank (which has a port in the middle) -- so this works, what about a use case where it's a traditional buffer tank w/o the middle opening?
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Most have a sensor well in that location . The Thermo Con is just very versatile and allows many options .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833