Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Repipe Thoughts?

I’m posting this as a new thread because I think it got lost when I did it as a comment on the old string. Apologies for being annoying. I would love to get an opinion before I start buying fittings and want to get this going before autumn sets in.

This is a 2.5" header and I didn't include the unions, but there will definitely be a few scattered about. Does anything stand out to anyone who has done this? Design look OK?

Comments

• gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    I would change as noted on sketch and this is how we do it.
    SWEIChrisJ
  • gennady
    edited September 2015
    lost one arrow. you must have at least 3 pipe diameters before and after take off tee. install isolation valves on return and supply. make provisions for boiler blow downs and return line blow down.
    after connection of second steam supply to header increase header size as mentioned in Hatterasguy post.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,475
    Spend just a tiny bit more and increase the equalizer piping from 1-1/4 to 1-1/2".

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • tgbrew
    tgbrew Member Posts: 43
    Thanks for the details! Indeed I drew it badly and plan for the equalizer to be 2" with 1.25" for the Hartford loop to match the return.

I tried to have the drawings match the design recommendation diagram from the manual. Their details didn't have those 3" spacings around the second riser and recommended a 2.5" header for this size boiler (187k btu). I just want to make sure it is OK to increase the header size.

Many thanks!!
  • tgbrew
    Ok- here are the changes. I think this is it, so definitely scream if something looks weird. I might not do the odd 90-degree turn for the second riser to get to the header and just try to fit a diagonal.
    Thanks and I appreciate the help!

• gennady
    minimum requiremts
  • tgbrew
    Minimum for what? I'm exceeding the Utica requirements for riser height, header size and spacings. What am I missing? I don't want to have to redo this...
    Thanks!
  • tgbrew
    Nice. Many thanks!! I think I'm going to go with an 18" diagonal on the second riser, which would move the connection to the header closer to the first riser as you suggest. Thanks to everyone again. I'll post a pic I get these old pipes out and the new ones up.
  • tgbrew
    As promised - a pic of the completed project. Thanks everyone!
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    Very nice piping job, I'm sure you will much happier this winter.
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    It looks good , have you fired it yet ? I noticed that a few posts above someone said to not use a reducing 90 at the end .
    I was wondering how critical that area is , the last 90 down to the equalizer ? Can a tee be used here ( using the branch as the 90 and plug at the end ) for the purpose of cleaning or chemical fill ?
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,553

It looks good , have you fired it yet ? I noticed that a few posts above someone said to not use a reducing 90 at the end .
    I was wondering how critical that area is , the last 90 down to the equalizer ? Can a tee be used here ( using the branch as the 90 and plug at the end ) for the purpose of cleaning or chemical fill ?

I used a 3" to 2" reducing 90 here and don't know why it would be a problem as long as it's pointed straight down.

A tee should work fine as well. The objective is to drain the header into the equalizer as fast and completely as possible.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,715
    As far as I know a reducing elbow pointed straight down is not a problem, it's when people lay them on their side that it becomes problematic in that it can hold water.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    I haven't re-read the post but do you only have one main?
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    It looks Great!
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    Here is how I prefer to do it, just my preference.
    image.jpeg 1016.2K
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,294
    Very nice piping job neat and clean work
  • tgbrew
    Thanks everyone. Yes, we have fired and all seems well. No issues but not sure if it is helping our balance issue. The previous piping was pretty ridiculous.
    We have one main and don't think the reducing tee is an issue. Not sure how else I would have done since I wanted the big header.