Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cold upstairs, hot downstairs

Options
boobird
boobird Member Posts: 49
edited September 2015 in Gas Heating
Hello all,
I purchased a 3 unit detached brick building in Jersey City with 3 floors (3000sq ft total living space). My understanding is that the previous owner kept the thermostat on 74. There is a single hot water boiler that serves the entire building. There is a red pump that pushes the water and the PSI gets to the level as indicated on the pressure gauge. The previous owner also "bleeds" the top floor radiators until a little water comes out. The heating bill for the year was over $5000.

There is 1 thermostat is on the first floor.
The first floor is hot (they insulated the radiators with a foil to prevent the apt from overheating).
The 2nd and 3rd floor tenants complain of cold. The 2nd floor has a mix of cast iron radiators and a 15ft baseboard.
The 3rd floor has an additional electric heating unit.

Is this typical of a hot water system? What improvements can be made to the system?

Comments

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Could you show us some pictures of the near boiler piping and include everything you can ?
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,289
    Options
    It is NOT typical of a hot water heating system. They can be just as even as you have the patience to make them, provided only that there is enough radiation (baseboards or radiators) in the various spaces.

The three floors should be at least three zones -- and there is no good reason why, for a rental, they couldn't even be on three thermostats. But to start with, as Rich says -- some pictures please, and possibly a sketch of the piping runs, and some more information about what radiation is available in the various floors and rooms.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • boobird
    Options
    In this photo attachment, the red "X" are 2 vertical pipes that I believe return to the boilers. The red boxes are radiator units. The long red box on the 2nd floor is a baseboard unit.

1st Floor:
    There is 1 radiator in each bedroom and 1 in the kitchen, 1 in the living room, 1 in the dining room.

2nd Floor:
    The first and 2nd floor are the same, except the 2nd floor has a long baseboard radiator in the living room. The 2nd floor has slide out doors to an uncovered porch.

The 3rd floor:
    There is 1 radiator in each bedroom and 1 in the kitchen.

• rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    How much pressure is in the boiler before the pump comes on, and what does it shoot up to when it does?
    Rick
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    Unscrew one of the union nuts on one of the third floor radiators and check to see if there are any orifice plates inside. If so, remove them. Also check both the supply and return piping to make sure there are no air traps in the piping itself. Sometimes during remodels, someone will move the piping for construction purposes without consideration to system air removal.

Also as others mentioned, some pics showing near boiler piping and component locations.
  • boobird
    Options
  • boobird
    edited September 2015
    Options
    anyone who can take a look at my system? It's in Jersey City
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Advice.Call Rich to come take a look and fix that mess up.Sorry for your misfortune.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Can someone please look at the pix in the first post and tell me that I do not see a tankless water heater with both intake and exhaust right next to each other going through what appears to be a window ? Are they also metal pipe ?
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,677
    Options
    Rich said:

Can someone please look at the pix in the first post and tell me that I do not see a tankless water heater with both intake and exhaust right next to each other going through what appears to be a window ? Are they also metal pipe ?

You do not see a tankless water heater with both intake and exhaust right next to each other going through what appears to be a window.

I'm lying... but..

Does that help? :)
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    Options
    Check water pressure when system is off. pressure gage should read 1 psi per each 2.3' of hight of water column . Let's say vertical distance from boiler to upper point of the system is 30'. then gage should read 30/2.3 +5 psi=13+5=18 psi.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Rich said:

Looks like it to me. Also the copper FIP adapters to iron pipe, the galvanized steel straps on the copper, and the sloppy soldered joints should tell you what kind of an individual set this system up. Looks like a pretty job to work on (sarcasm) ;)
  • boobird
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yes, the previous owners installed a tankless water heater for the first unit. I actually want that removed.