Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Snow/Ice Melt Project

Options
Dan Foley
Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,258
It has been awhile since I posted some job pictures. This is a snowmelt project we just finished in Bethesda, MD. It is unique because I installed the original snowmelt job almost 22 years ago.

You know you have been doing this too long when you are replacing jobs you installed. Poppy, Brian and the crew had a good chuckle at my choice of equipment and my piping skills. Yes, I admit my guys are more talented with a pipe wrench then I am. But hey, lets see some of their jobs from 20+ years ago!

The owner decided he wanted new steps and a stamped concrete walkway to go along with a new driveway. An updated snowmelt system with a reliable control package went along with the new concrete.

- DF
4Johnpipe

Comments

• Dan Foley
    Options
    Here are some pictures of the driveway and manifold

- DF
  • Dan Foley
    Options
    And the mechanical room.

- DF
  • Dan Foley
    Options
    I should note that the yellow copper gas line to the right of the boiler was existing and runs to an outdoor gas BBQ grille. Brian would never pipe something that ugly.

- DF
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,538
    Options
    NOBODY does it better.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Great work from a great company. Thanks for being a member of the RPA Dan.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,435
    Options
    Wow... a Glowcore boiler hooked up to Entran....
    How things have changed.
  • 4Johnpipe
    4Johnpipe Member Posts: 482
    Options
    Pretty work...Isn't it amazing how far piping arrangements have come in the last few years. I look at some of my early boiler jobs and get struck with Irish guilt...Cant wait to upgrade some of the older stuff...
    LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
    Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
    732-751-1560
    email: langansph@yahoo.com
    www.langansplumbing.com
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    Were the before photos from your days with Arlington?
  • Dan Foley
    Options
    Rob,

Yes, I was at Arlington when I installed the original Glow Core boiler and Entran 3 system. If you look closely, you can still see the Arlington sticker on the boiler.

- DF
  • journeyman
    journeyman Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Looks great, very nice work!
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Hate to see a good install, that I assume was working fine, get torn out just for the sake of ascetics, but that's more new work for you. Some folks in the DC area have more money than they know what to do with it.
    New install looks great.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • NYplumber
    NYplumber Member Posts: 503
    Options
    Nice looking job Dan. I did two properties last season that are next door to each other, a father and child homes. It started small, he had an existing system that wasnt up to par. The utility company had broke a tube and when a plumber came by to repair it, it was filled with water. There were holes in the tubing that went unknown and the watts auto fill valve filled more.

I ripped it all out and started from scratch. We used a Viessmann b2ha shoehorned into the already small mechanical room. Utilized above the two 36inch doors for our rather large pump and the lwco.
    The old tubing, uponur (then still called by their old name) was still in great shape albeit the age of 22 years.

I documented the job start to finish with photos. The only photo I dont have is the home owner smiling because he would let me take his pic.

His son told me that the old system ran so hot that the concrete was warm to the touch so much so that they would stand on the front porch barefoot in the winter!
    :NYplumber: