Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Proper sized heating unit?

I'm in the middle of an addition/renovation adding 1500 sq. ft. to my current 1500 (all single floor) in WNY. I will be removing my forced air unit and replacing with radiant heat throughout. Addition is 3/4 slab with a 288 sq ft. basement connected to my current full basement. My contractor has recommended a Peerless Purefire 4 (210,00 B.T.U.) unit. Seems a wee bit large to me... I haven't had a heat loss assessment made.

Comments

• BobCBobC Posts: 5,056Member
    A detailed heatloss has to be done or it;s all guesswork.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • SnowmeltSnowmelt Posts: 1,146Member
    even if you did 50 BTU per square foot you only need 14,400.
  • nydoodlesnydoodles Posts: 3Member
    Went to loadcalc.net and this estimated a 125,000 BTU requirement.
  • Rich_49Rich_49 Posts: 2,540Member
    Never let him in your house again ! Traveled to Plattsburgh in Nov. 14' where the homeowner had a 145,000 BTU boiler , why so big ? Snowmelt ! That boiler is much too large for the house , roughly the same size home as yours after completion .

We had to add an 80 gallon buffer tank to calm the mod con down among other measures to actually melt snow and get ALL the upstairs rooms comfortable .

get a room by room heat loss done by someone or perform it yourself , you'll be amazed .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • nydoodlesnydoodles Posts: 3Member
    Rich and Snowmelt, Thanks for your comments. I'm scheduling a heat loss workup.
  • RobGRobG Posts: 1,850Member
    I don't know who will be doing your heat loss but I would recommend looking up Slantfin Heatloss Calculator and doing it yourself. You can post your results here and we can review and advise. 210,000 BTU's is INSANE for a 3000 Square foot home unless it has no insulation and is in the north pole!
  • Jamie HallJamie Hall Posts: 11,885Member
    Second, third, fourth... get that heat loss done. The place I care for is over 7,000 square feet, essentially uninsulated, and uses 300,000 BTU on a -10 F day. The boiler is rated at 385,000 BTU. Your 210,000 BTU has to be oversized.
    Br. Jamie, osb

Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England.

Hoffman Equipped System (all original except boiler), Weil-Mclain 580, 2.75 gph Carlin, Vapourstat 0.5 -- 6.0 ounces per square inch