Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rate my install, and a question.

Timco
Timco Member Posts: 3,040
Moline system. Left the returns like I found them, replaced check that was stuck open. No traps. Skim port on far side with relief.

Heats far better than ever before. Silent. Every rad. Customer can't be any happier.

Installed a vap stat and 0-5 gauge. Shuts off faster than press trol, but gauge only bounces at 2oz. With main valve shut, gauge says 10oz when vap stat shuts off. Perfect. Why won't it read 10oz when system is open and vap stat cycles off? Just with main valve closed.

Just a guy running some pipes.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,491
    Great piping job!

How closely matched is the boiler EDR matched to the radiators?

When the boiler was supplying the system did it cycle off because the thermostat was satisfied?

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Timco
    BobC said:

Great piping job!

How closely matched is the boiler EDR matched to the radiators?

When the boiler was supplying the system did it cycle off because the thermostat was satisfied?

Bob

No. I had it jumped out at boiler. Load is 99k. Output is 130k. May add 2 rads so I gave him a bit of pick up factor. With main closed it cycles at 10 oz. With system open, vap stat cycles but gauge bounces at 2oz or so.

Thanks for the compliment. I really try. That's a tight space.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Diet coke and a screwdriver on the waterheater...........

ditto on the nice pipe work!

SFM
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,764
    Is that a BSI207? I am just guessing with your mention of the 130k output.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Timco
    KC_Jones said:

Is that a BSI207? I am just guessing with your mention of the 130k output.

Input is 172k. Don't know model number off hand. I'll try another gauge tomorrow.
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Couple more pics of combustion venting,,,Isn't it required to be smaller over larger? and do yo have enough ht. of the top of the water heater before going horizontal? Definitely prefer wyes over tees in venting? Why not classic cast iron fittings? You asked
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,122
    +50 points for piping. Would've been higher but you used a single riser and the header is on the small side.

-2 points for not using cast iron fittings.
    -5 points for using a 33% pickup factor (I like 15% or less).
    +10 points for vaporstat
    +15 points for low pressure gauge
    +5 points for king valve plus return valve.
    +50 points for some really beautiful solder joints.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,122
    edited August 2015
    Regarding the system cycling, you have a Cycleguard LWCO on the boiler. That's what's likely causing the cycling with no pressure.

If It was mine, I'd replace that with a safeguard 400.
    The Cycleguard shuts the boiler down every 15 minutes or so to test for foaming.
    http://www.hydrolevel.com/pages/cyclegard.html
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    edited August 2015
    I would have used a 3" header, and separated the two steam mains, or installed the main riser in the full 2-1/2" (?) size. Otherwise, very nice. Better than the factory minimum. Should work well.