Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Circulator placement

Marz
Marz Member Posts: 90
Hello all. I got a call today from one of our customers. We installed a boiler for this customer back in May. He stated to me that his plumber said that we had installed the circulators in the wrong place. We installed 3 Grundfos circs on the supply after the expansion tank. I know that this is the correct location, but i'm looking to see if anyone has any literature that I can forward to him for peace of mind. Thank you

Comments

• RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    edited July 2015
    Tell the customer to come to this site and search "pumping away". And tell them to keep the plumber away from the boiler! The only reason cast iron boilers are shipped with the circ on the return is for shipping purposes. I wish they just packed them loose.
  • Marz
    Marz Member Posts: 90
    LOL. that's great! Thank you
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    What kind of boiler is it? Some people put the circ on the supply to keep it cooler. The way I look at it is as long as it pumping away from the x-tank and the manufacturer doesn't;t say it's wrong, you're good.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,787
    Marz said:

Hello all. I got a call today from one of our customers. We installed a boiler for this customer back in May. He stated to me that his plumber said that we had installed the circulators in the wrong place. We installed 3 Grundfos circs on the supply after the expansion tank. I know that this is the correct location, but i'm looking to see if anyone has any literature that I can forward to him for peace of mind. Thank you

It's this simple, really. Pumping away adds the pumps delta P to the circuit, pumping towards, subtracts it. Under some conditions that will keep the circ in near constant cavitation when you pump at the expansion tank connection.

Yes you can pump on the return, just move the expansion tank connection there also.

Leave the air purger on the supply, always.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    RobGZman