Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

First impressions of HTP's Elite FT

Tinman
Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
edited July 2015 in THE MAIN WALL
I like it...so far. I have a couple more days before I fire it up. Still needs to be vented through a barrel roof, all the home runs from the REHAU manifolds need to be tied in, drain, odds and ends.

A lot of similarities with the WHN (my current favorite).

The option of piping out the top or the bottom was a great idea.

I like that they have an accessible plug for combustion analysis.

The location of the electrical knockouts is something I'm still baffled by?

I haven't looked closely yet but I didn't see a place to wire the system (secondary) pump? The WHN has that. I've got the Caleffi ZVR's with terminals for the system pump so not a big deal.

I have to look closer at the control but at first glance I didn't see a plug and play connection for a LWCO either. Another thing that I like about the WHN. Anything that makes my job easier works for me.

Can I expect more pleasant surprises as I move along
Steve Minnich

Comments

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,768
    You want pages 57 - 58 in the manual .

http://www.htproducts.com/literature/lp-387.pdf

Wait till you see the UFT that is arriving on the market soon . 80,100,120,140 K sizes with 10:1 TDR and no P & S required .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Tinman
    Got it. Thanks Rich. The architect spec'd the Elite FT and wanted to stick with it as long as I didn't have a problem with it. I didn't and it gives me an opportunity to experience HTP. I love learning.

UFT sounds great and will be even better if they come up with a 40 and 60 : ).
    Steve Minnich
    Rich_49
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,459
    If you haven't filled it yet, which it looks like, you might want to put a drain valve on the Boiler Buddy. Future maintenance you know?
    Rick
  • Tinman
    There is a drain. Bottom right side.
    Steve Minnich
  • Tinman
    There's actually a 3/4" female pipe thread on the BB specifically for the drain. : )
    Steve Minnich
  • It's nice to see that quality contractors are still soldering. Nice work, Steve!
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    Tinman
  • Rich_49
    edited July 2015
    I have seen more than my fair share of hacks who solder very nicely . Some folks choose Pro Press , some Aquatherm and any other method of joining a pipe to a fitting .
    I use Pro Press Alan , does that make me other than a quality contractor ? How about others that choose a different joining method ? Have you ever inquired about how much less per year your insurance premiums may be when you limit your exposure to liability for say "FIRE" and transporting Tanks of Acetylene ?
    I do respect your opinion but might think using the word quality and solder in the same sentence may give the wrong idea .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    732-751-1560
  • Tinman
    I didn't see anything negative in the comment? He may have meant that most quality contractors are pressing or using some other method, for all we know?

Does everything need to be a point of contention?
    Steve Minnich
    RobG
  • Tinman
    In 1988 I was working in a century old, 3 flat apartment building on Diversey in Chicago. The entire building was being gutted and renovated. We were doing the HVAC while the plumbers were there roughing in the copper.One of the plumbers got careless and lit an old joist on fire.

Within minutes, and I mean minutes, the entire building was engulfed in flames. Luckily no one got hurt because in the building next door (3 feet away), the windows were blowing out within minutes too. The building we were in burned down quickly but the one next door was salvaged.

I have the utmost respect for sparks, fire, heat from torches as anyone on the planet. I take every precaution there is to be as safe as humanly possible. If I'm near combustibles I use 16 gauge metal plates to cover them. I have a bucket of water with a rag soaking in it at my feet. I use the right size torch tip, I have a small fire extinguisher nearby (never yet have had to use it after 3 plus decades). I'm 100% dialed in when that torch is ignited and I don't use acetylene or a turbo type torch for soft soldering.

It's not a sin to use a torch. Nor is it a sin to press.

Steve Minnich
  • Rich_49
    Don't take my comment the wrong way . Many that visit the site are not contractors and could get the idea that anything other than soldering is undesirable or in some way inferior .
    732-751-1560
    Canucker
  • Hey there: I apologize. My comment was directed at Steve who is a quality guy and still solders. I appreciate the craft and just wanted to voice up since I have only a few years left in the trade. I think soldering is a dying skill; on its way out just like wiping a joint. So, whenever I see nicely soldered work, I comment on it.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    CanuckerRich_49
  • danlin
    danlin Member Posts: 15
    edited July 2015
    Thanks.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,440
    Beautiful work, Stephen.

I switched over to P.P. About five years ago. Wish I had done it sooner. I still do some soft soldering and my joints look almost as good as yours, but the P.P. is definitely my first choice.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Tinman
    edited July 2015
    Thank you, Bob. That means a lot coming from you.

I will switch to PP at some point. I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I hired my son-in-law 6 months ago and I really want him to learn some old school stuff because he'll need to know it at some point.

@Danlin - I would suggest starting a "New Discussion". You'll get more views and all kinds of responses that way.
    Steve Minnich
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Fantastic work.Beautiful soldering joints .How well does the system work and are you happy with the boiler.Thanks for sharing
  • Tinman
    Thanks Jonny88. We can't fire it up until September. The job is an art gallery in Chicago. I guess a large part of the floor is some form of art that we haven't been allowed to see and the artist doesn't want/can't have the floor heated until then.

I'm confident she'll run beautifully. : )
    Steve Minnich
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Bring them into the boiler room thats where the real art gallery is
    TinmanIronman
  • Tinman
    Funny you should say that. The owner stuck her head in the mechanical room as we were finishing and said "Wow! That's Bad A$$!!"
    Not what I expected from the owner of an art gallery but very cool.
    Steve Minnich
  • Tinman
    Thanks Hat - Force of habit more than anything. Not a bad habit but probably should change.
    Steve Minnich
  • 4Johnpipe
    4Johnpipe Member Posts: 485
    The cool thing is boiler buddy and HTP have purges on them...any remaining air in that (beautiful) system would go out the top of the boiler buddy...
    LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
    Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
    732-751-1560
    email: langansph@yahoo.com
    www.langansplumbing.com
    Tinman
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,787
    jonny88 said:

Bring them into the boiler room thats where the real art gallery is

Speaking of art in mechanical rooms. Mustafa Aydin of American Plbg, Heating, & Solar in Colorado adds an art component to his mechanical rooms. He learns what the owners hobbies are, or where they went to college, the adds some art to surprise them.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    RobGjonny88Tinman
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    I miss seeing Heatboy's diamond plate jobs, beautiful workmanship and aesthetically pleasing. (your work looks awesome as well Steve, I always love to see true craftsmanship). Did Heatboy go to work for a rep or a manufacturer?
  • Tinman
    He did. I forget where? Hot Rod knows, I think?
    Steve Minnich
  • Rich_49
    Jeff now works for Viega .
    732-751-1560
    RobG
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,459
    I love how the mouse traps are are lined up in a row! :) Very tidy.
    Goes with the rest of the nice workmanship.
    Rick
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,787
    mouse traps to protect the motorcycle, maybe?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Dan Foley
    Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,260
    Heatboy left Viega. He is at The Joyce Agency now.

- DF
    Rich_49RobG