Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Putting in a H/W hybrid W/H

Options
bigal41
bigal41 Member Posts: 4
Here's the deal... my son recently switched from elec to gas on his W/H. he had just purchased a GE Hybrid W/H (elec) last year ..it's a GE Geospring 50 gal I think it is red on the outside . I currently have a 10 yr old Slant fin boiler model L-30PT Liberty , oil fired with coil insert to heat my domestic H/W and the baseboard heat is from the boiler ( separate from the domestic water) ). Here is my question, I am having a plumber install the W/H... I believe he will bypass the domestic coil (Yes ??). What will happen over time to that coil that is in the boiler ?? will blow from over heating due to the fact water has nowhere to go or will it melt..LOL. Also because the Hybrid will take over for all my domestic water, can I turn down the temp controls on boiler during the summer so that the boiler doesn't come on as often.. then come winter return the temp to where it was . Hope all this makes sense.

Comments

• RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    If you are abandoning the domestic coil and plan on using the HP water heater year round just cut the coil lines and cap them, the amount of pressure created by the air in the pipe is negligible but if the coil leaks you won't have a flood. Shut the boiler down in summer, there is no point in keeping an unused boiler hot, after all, that's why you switched to the HPWH. I would also make it a cold start boiler in winter (I don't want to start a debate). JMHO.
    Hatterasguy
  • bigal41
    Options
    I like to thank all that responded to me. I do have another question if I may, my plumber is thinking of using all PEX coming out of the top of the new Hot Water Hybrid unit ... as a laymen I always thought you needed copper for a short distance and then PEX.

Also my main shower is on the second floor of my house, will the Hybrid have enough punch behind it to move the water to that level with enough flow and pressure ?? Again thank you all for this help, it is much appreciated.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    You will actually have better pressure with the water heater than you currently have with domestic coil.
    Zmanbigal41
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    bigal41 said:

my plumber is thinking of using all PEX coming out of the top of the new Hot Water Hybrid unit ... as a laymen I always thought you needed copper for a short distance and then PEX.

Code here requires the first 18" minimum to be non-plastic piping for both cold and hot. Flex lines qualify.
    RobGbigal41Rich_49
  • bigal41
    Options
    thanks all!!!