Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pre-pipes

Options
Tinman
Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
I started pre-piping as many boiler jobs in the shop as I could about 2 years ago. Some of them make no sense to pre-pipe but on many of them like this one, I find it to be a huge time saver. There are so many less trips to and from the truck, less trips up and down stairs, less time in the customer's home, often times a better product, I can listen to music as loud as I want, and if I'm tired and want to take a 45 minute lunch I don't get anyone looking at me sideways. : )

I started this one yesterday. It's for an art gallery in Chicago. 10 radiant zones, all the same SWT, which will be tied into an HTP Elite FT (my first one) and a Caleffi buffer tank, along with a Grundfos Magna system pump. We use the same machine grey paint on all of them so we always keep some extra gallons on hand.

Are there many others doing this? Experiencing the same benefits as we are?
Steve Minnich
jonny884Johnpipe

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    I absolutely agree. The first one I did was a super tight closet install. The next was a remote site that was an hour to the nearest supply house. Now I'm hooked. I am actually surprised no one has set up a business that just prefabs near boiler piping.
    I like the grey color. I think diamond plate will be in my future.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    TinmanBobbyBoy
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    We also fabricate many larger jobs in my shop at the house . It certainly does make for less stress and nonsense . Stephen , you will loike the EFT alot . very soon the UFT will be reay for distribution and with a 10:1 TDR I think it will take off in sizes of 80 , 100 , 120 & 140 . No P & S will be necessary either from what I'm told .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    Tinman
  • Tinman
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Zman (sorry Gordy) - I first used diamond plate on a few jobs about ten years ago and at first, I liked it. But I haven't used it since. For some reason, I thought it detracted from the job. I don't know if it was the mirror affect of the plate or what? Plus, it's really expensive.
    Steve Minnich
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    please keep us updated on install. nice work.
    Tinman
  • 4Johnpipe
    4Johnpipe Member Posts: 480
    Options
    @Stephen Minnich We have and will again very soon. It makes total sense for multiple zone systems for all of the reasons you mentioned! Do you make your own manifolds with the T tool or do you purchase them?
    Also look into Webstone product line they make the isolation and purge valve as one assembly saves even more time...
    LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
    Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
    732-751-1560
    email: langansph@yahoo.com
    www.langansplumbing.com
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,112
    Options
    I used to pre make panels at one shop i worked st .it saved alot of late nights at jobs ,the hardest part was getting them into the jobs espically those 6 to 10 zone jobs w pumps .After a while i would make them in one or two section and throw a union in between ,Sure saved alot of steps .I used to make up some remote radiant panels and re circ station all on painted plywwod and pre wireed it was sure a step saver to the truck and saved alot of time wasted on doing it all on the job .I would also pre pressure test the whole set up on large jobs it would save a easy 10 to 12 hours between all the bs .Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 884
    Options
    I agree with this idea, I prefab (when possible) the entire job on a piece of plywood at the shop, including mocking up boiler and all the wiring. It has been a real saver. I also agree wholeheartedly about the volume of music. Your piping looks great.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Do it on just about every job
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    Bob Bona_44JohnpipeZman
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    I notice Wholesalers and some of the boiler manufacturers offer both prefabed wall mount and floor mount skid packages, also.

Wouldn't it be fun to build the package where you have access to all the fittings and supplies :)

Just be sure you "stake your claim" for the space to install it on the jobsite.

Watts Radiant had a full on production area for the HydroPanels, here in Missouri, with the commercial duty T-Drill machines and end spinners. They also had a tumbler that would polish all the copper and brass components.

Nice work, wallies.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Robert O'Brien
  • Tinman
    Options
    Thanks guys.

I bought the manifold from Alberta. I've used the Webstone products a lot but I didn't have any in stock so I used what I had. Not a reduction in quality so much but certainly a bit more work.

I've got 4 other similar jobs going now also. Pre-fabbed all the boards, all a bit different. On the other ones, they're all Lochinvar WHN's. I'd be happy if I don't have to touch an air conditioner this summer.

I'll try to post some pics as they progress.
    Steve Minnich
    Robert O'Brien4Johnpipe