Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Truck safety

Options

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    I've worried about this for years.

Anyone have a pointer to some kind of lockable cage (or rack) that holds B tanks, LPG, refrigerants, etc?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    There have been other stories of B tanks causing explosions. I believe it has been that the tank valve not being shut off. The hose leaked or the torch tip was not shut off completely.
    One case was as the person approached the vehicle he hit the remote unlock fob and boom.
    There are simple racks to keep a b tank upright, got one in my van.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    I'd really like to keep the tanks on the outside. Easy enough to build something, but just in case someone has already worked out the details...
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    edited June 2015
    Options
    This just shows the importance of keeping plenty of marshmallows and chocolate on hand...
    Glad no one was hurt.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    SWEI, go look at an EMS ambulance. They usually have an outside accessible (lockable) compartment for a large Oxygen tank. That isolates the tank from the inside patient compartment. Probably well vented also.
    Actually retired ambulances make a good service van. I know, that is what I use.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    It would be nice to be able to keep the tanks in the truck (to prevent theft) in a sealed container that was vented to the outdoors.
    SWEI
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    If you go visit a fire station that has EMS included in their services, they usually are willing to talk "trucks" to anyone interested. (once you seem to be a local person to them) Check out an ambulance, ask to see the large O2 compartment with door on the outside of vehicle for service and safety. Door is flush with side wall of truck. Other doors are available for crash scene equipment as needed.
    That could be installed easily in any box type truck.
    (They might also ask you if you would like to be a volunteer fire-fighter. ;) )
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    While back I got a 500.00 ticket for driving towards a tunnell, in S Boston....with an m c tank in my truck...Meanwhile cars going into tunnell with who knows what issues....Gas tanks go bang much easier than an m c tank...Streets filled with crime, and Mr statie worries about a working man..Making a living....Don't think it helped when he opened the side door and tank fell out near his pretty shined boots...I thought is was quite funny...Judge saw it my way,, Go catch the bad people, not the working people
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    interesting j a when you go through the tunnels in NYC they stop commercial trucks looking for tanks.Being caught once or twice without thinking and the tunnel police turn us away and make us take the bridge.Cars are not checked so when in a rush plumbers take a car or else hide tanks in truck.
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    U guyz have tunnell police? They make overtime ou undertime...
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    Isn't there some law on Long Island that commercial vehicles cannot use the LIE? I vaguely recall my uncles neighbor who was a plumber had an undercover service van, it looked like something from Cheech and Chong.
    SWEI
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Commercial only on LIE but not on Parkways.Either way highway patrol who hide behind there little spots randomly pull you over.In turn this backs up traffic as everyone has to see whats going on.Overtime on undertime I like that.Im not going to go down the cop bashing route though there is a few good ones out there.
  • Mikey Lasagna
    Mikey Lasagna Member Posts: 10
    Options
    jonny88... Is right and stay out of the left lane on the LIE, back when the sheriff was patrolling the LIE I got at ticket for being a commercial truck in the left lane.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,704
    Options
    I've always been amazed how a lot of guys treat acetylene tanks, throwing them, dropping them.

They're practically an unstable bomb waiting to go off only being stopped by the porous filling soaked in acetone which the acetylene dissolves into making it stable at higher pressures and safe to transport.

I always treat my B tank like it wants to kill me. I always shut the tank off, then drain the torch handle and shut it back off. This way pressure cannot build up in the torch, but the torch is a secondary shutoff in case the tank valve fails.

Here's a snipe from Wiki

Acetylene is not especially toxic but, when generated from calcium carbide, it can contain toxic impurities such as traces of phosphine and arsine, which give it a distinct garlic-like smell. It is also highly flammable, as most light hydrocarbons, hence its use in welding. Its most singular hazard is associated with its intrinsic instability, especially when it is pressurized: under certain conditions acetylene can react in an exothermic addition-type reaction to form a number of products, typically benzene and/or vinylacetylene, possibly in addition to carbon and hydrogen. Consequently, acetylene, if initiated by intense heat or a shockwave, can decompose explosively if the absolute pressure of the gas exceeds about 200 kPa (29 psi). Most regulators and pressure gauges on equipment report gauge pressure and the safe limit for acetylene therefore is 101 kPagage or 15 psig.[34][35] It is therefore supplied and stored dissolved in acetone or dimethylformamide (DMF),[36] contained in a gas cylinder with a porous filling (Agamassan), which renders it safe to transport and use, given proper handling. Copper catalyses the decomposition of acetylene and as a result acetylene should not be transported in copper pipes. Brass pipe fittings should also be avoided.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    jonny88