Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

LNB-250 discontinued?

Options
justinnj
justinnj Member Posts: 6
Does anyone know if the Midco LNB-250 is discontinued? I I'm considering a modulating setup with the Ecosteam control for a new boiler and I can't find any mention of this unit on Midco's website or anywhere else online?
If so, are there other small modulating burners out there? It seems the market is pretty slanted towards larger units. I'd like something in the 50K-125K btuh range.

Comments

• MarkS
    MarkS Member Posts: 75
    Options
    The LNB-250 is a custom burner head for the LNB-500 valve train that Midco fabricated, I don't think it's an "official" model. Contact Charlie Aiello at Midco to see if they would build another one.

A less expensive option you might explore is a two stage gas valve, which could be a better choice for your target firing rates.
    1890 near-vapor one pipe steam system | Operating pressure: 0.25 oz | 607 sf EDR
    Midco LNB-250 Modulating Gas Burner | EcoSteam ES-50 modulating controls | 70 to 300 MBH |
    3009 sf | 3 floors | 14 radiators | Utica SFE boiler | 4 mains, 135 ft | Gorton & B&J Big Mouth vents
  • justinnj
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Mark, as we discussed via email, you are right (just to clarify for other ppl). I agree, two stage gas valve is the way to go for a steam boiler this small. Interestingly, it's not a small house and one heating contractor who went through here and did some loss calcs felt the steam rads were too small...from what I understand, if he's right, it would be a first... however, I have some suspicions that this system was total low bidder 1920ish and need to do some math because we froze our asses off last winter.

But, I am skeptical of his calcs and I will do my own.

Amusingly, we had someone from the local gas company through today. He told me he had attended one of Dan's seminars and swore he knew steam, however, he also swore that it was thoroughly acceptable to replace a boiler based on the previous boiler output. When I challenged him, he told me that if I wanted to calc the EDR of the rads, I was welcome to and he would adjust his quote. Sadly, the gas co wants to give us huge concessions to go with them for the conversion and I am considering doing so and correcting them....I'm sure I'll come to my senses when the two ppl who advertise on this site as steam experts come through the place.
  • justinnj
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Yeah....I don't think we'lll be giving them the deal...but the finance minister is in favor. I think the engineering minister overrides her vote...lol.

I think there is nothing wrong with this approach for an engineer homeowner. But for most homeowners it is not a good move.

Frankly, I'd just replace the damn thing myself, but as an experienced engineer, I understand that while I may understand the technical literature, that doesn't grant me experience. And I understand the value of experience. I suspect this means I might have passed Dan's pickle test.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    It's one of those things that by the time you rent a threader, run around to get ALL the materials and figure out the proper way to pipe it, it's probably not worth the time and effort (and you friends will hate you after getting the old one out and the new one in). Just do your research in finding a pro. Some people don't mind going through the process but I look at it as, if the head gasket on my truck blows. Could I fix it, yeah, but what is my time worth to me?
    HatterasguyZman
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,671
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The only reason I disagree with RobG is in my case it was far easier to deal with the trouble of working with threaded pipe than dealing with getting a contractor to fix what he messed up. Of course there are plenty of good guys out there but it's often risky when it comes to a steamer. But he is right, it's a major pain in the butt there's no argument there. It's hard work even once you get the boiler down the steps. Anyone who thinks a plumber/HVAC guy charges too much needs to try it at least once and they'll never think the same again.

I had a local plumbing supply thread four custom nipples for me which completed my header, but now I own a Rigid 65R-TC threader so I can do my own. All of the other fittings and nipples came from supplyhouse.com

That said, you're in NJ so go with @JStar.
    Had I known about him in 2011 I probably would've never installed my own boiler. Don't go with the gas company, the little bit of money they are offering isn't worth the risk.

I believe @JStar also installs the EcoSteam for customers.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    KC_Jones
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    I'd be happy to help. Call, text, or email any time. My info is below.
    RobGKC_Jones