Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Any recommendations for the best mod/con that is easily serviceable in Long Island?

sma1123
sma1123 Member Posts: 4
edited December 2015 in Gas Heating
I'm converting from oil to gas heat. I read a post on the forum from an earlier thread and recommendations were varied. The main point was that who does the installation is more important than the boiler. But I also want to be sure I have a serviceable boiler and not something too high tech for a plumber. There are some great products like IBC, HTP but they are not on the short lists of most plumbing company websites versus Burnham, Navien, Weill. Why is that? Are some boilers more elite and therefore harder to find service people for?

Triangle Tube prestige (I never heard of TT) does seem to be popular in LI based on posts.

I've read some stories where folks had an issue with a part (which I read can be expected for *any* boiler and it took several days to find because no one had it in stock. I don't want this to happen. I want to get the best boiler but I want one that I can easily find a plumber to service for me.

I'm tempted to go with one of the more 'low-tech' brands.

btw, if there any LI plumbers who are good, let me know. Saw another post of this but there was no response except from NJ.

Comments

• RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    There are several plumbers on LI who are very good. Look in the "find a contractor" page on the site. You are correct in the fact that the installer is just as important as the equipment. Depending on your situation low or high-tech may be the solution but we will need more info to help. Have you done or had a comprehensive heat-loss done yet?
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    We are on LI and recommend Viessmann,Bosch and Triangle Tube.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    RobGZman
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    1. What type of heat emitters do you have? 2 Do you have a location where the vent and intake can be located safely, and not distract neighbors. 3 Do you have enough gas available, size line and pressure...4 What about hot water, you thinking combo unit.......Back in the day, I installed a many USBoiler Alpine, support if needed was beyond helpful, training was constant, and the local F W Webb stocked a complete Kit with all available parts...Suggest see if your boiler of choice has as much to offer.Couple questions for installer, I am sure others will chime in and be even more helpful....1. References and pics please of a choice few past jobs...and not Grammy sis and bro...2 Are u a salesman or installer...3. Have you been trained on mod/con installs 4 who wires it.4 copy of lic. And insurance please,and is everyone who enters my property insured, paperwork please..5.How long will this job take? 6 Can you install and repair and service, this brand or is it going to be the chase is on, and head scratching, time? 7. Oil tank removal,permit yes or no? If required will this job have all proper permits..yes or no...8. What is your policy as far as servicing how long do u warrant your work,and are you going to help me register my product....9 can you explain primaty/secondery theory to me in laymen's terms...do you use individual circulators or zone valves, what type of control will you use. 11. Will you be programing this thing based on our particular areas temps, or just be using factory settings....12 Do you have a combustion tester, yes/no, by the way off hand what is a standard O2 co2 and co reading on a mod con of this size, will you provide me with a printed copy... 13. Are you going to leave me with a copy of my manual, and are you going to explain to me, the homeowners hand book....15. After the install its summer, when you coming back I am sue the boys here can add to my list....Get it in writing, this can and hopefully will be a good experience, or it can be a nightmare.... 16. If my chimney is orphaned, will it be the correct size or does it need to be reworked? 17. Hours of operation, and if your a one man band who covers you when your not around, don't tell me to check the yellow pages....18. Are you a legit or a moonlighter...Pricing is between you and the installer, we care but , its not discussable here...Average costs is area dependent, google away on that one...Good luck use your best judgment, don't listen to the guys at work, ask us...Are u sure a mod/con is for you...manufactures that only offer modcons push them more than manufactures of both mod/con's and the good old 30 year cast iron baby with PRI/SEC piping or a boiler bypass,with a nice indirect for a long hot shower...just my 6 cents
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,821
    You need to pick a guy or company that has a long history with a brand. They will have seen the quirks of the product, have all the important techie phone numbers/contacts, and a healthy supply of replacement parts that you ain't gonna get on a Sundee mornin'. YOU couldn't do better than Robert Obrien of Technical Heating as an installer /service company. He knows ALL the mod cons and can probably offer u a few choices. When I was in business, we did a ton of Buderus GBs, and also quite a few TT. Both were excellent with very few problems. When you have a good relationship with the rep, Billy Gluckin and Bob Chapman of Comfort Zone sales of TT, for example, getting parts or info when you need it us a breeze. Mad Dog
    j a_2
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    IBC is my boiler of choice and is starting to make some moves on Long Island.Serviceability is not an issue,parts are available,and I have one chugging along in my own house for the last 2 years and have installed many here on Long Island.Veissmann as stated above will not let you down.Plenty to choose from .Remember its the install not the boiler that lets you down the majority of times.Good luck with your research.
    j a_2
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    My advice is stick with the guys posting local like the ones above...They know what's best in your area..I love the idea if owner is savoy enough and writes up his own scope, not easy but doable....Than take it from there
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,821
    Any contractor that even lurks here is a very good bet. Mad Dog
    RobGSWEIGordy
  • sma1123
    sma1123 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you everyone!! Wow, wasn't expecting that level of help. Much appreciated. I know how to proceed.
    jonny88