Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

DHW in prim/sec with TT Solo 110

Options
modconwannabe
modconwannabe Member Posts: 49
My skilled but careless and error-prone plumber installed a TT Solo 110 with Trimax control and an all new hydronic system this past winter. I won't go into all his foibles, but they're enough that I don't trust his work and am hoping for clarification from the experts here.
System is piped primary/secondary with two zones on top floor for panel radiators, a single zone of underfloor radiant for main floor, and then a single zone of cast iron baseboard for bottom floor. It is connected to outdoor reset. The Prestige solo 110 has a dedicated DHW outlet with its own pump built in, however he decided to cap that and instead pipe the DHW as one of the secondaries. Is that correct/desirable? I had wanted the DHW set as priority and am not sure if this can be accomplished this way? Note the only mixing valve is for the radiant floor.

The other issue that has crept up is that when the DHW call happens, it forces some amount of hot water through the entire system, so that in April when the weather thawed I had to go to the mech room and physically shut off the heating zones. I'm not sure if that's because he's got too much head, or the pump speed is too high (the internal boiler pump was set to high), or if a check valve of some sort is required somewhere in the system.

Any input would be most appreciated.

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,572
    Options
    Can you post a picture of the piping?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • modconwannabe
    modconwannabe Member Posts: 49
    Options
    I'll try but it's extremely hard to get a wide enough shot as my mech room is about 5 x 5. Anything you want to see in particular?
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,572
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The near boiler piping and the zone branches. Multiple pictures are OK. Sometimes it is easier to do a quick sketch.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Time to bring in a plumber that knows this equipment. The piping that incorporates the internal circulator is for Central Heating. That would be the Primary circ. Like my father use to say," If all else fails, read the directions".