Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How NOT to do a Staple-Up application

Paul Pollets
Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
The pic shows how a staple-up application (in a crawlspace) without plates was installed. One 1/2" pex pipe fastened to the side of the TJI. This work was done in a $3mil home. The second hole was popped or drilled, but the return of the Pex loop was left out. It runs down the adjacent bay. To lack the skills to install the work properly is nothing that unusual, but this one takes the cake. The plates that show were just installed by us as we retrofit the home properly. Learn your craft!!

Comments

• Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Wow! How come the joist spaces aren't ever that clean when we put up plates???
    Steve Minnich
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited May 2015
    @Stephen Minnich probably because the lack of heat was so prevelent that something had to be done sooner than later. 3 million does not get you much anymore. I see remnants of fiberglass insulation. What no bubble foil??
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    I see the crappiest mechanical work in the most expensive houses. Often times the builder is to blame. They don't hire the true professionals and try to mandate a budget cap for the project.
    AlCorelliNYjonny88
  • Paul Pollets
    There was bubble foil installed as a vapor barrier. New R30 batts will be installed when complete. There are also 3 wall panel radiators installed for supplemental. They were piped from the same mix temp as the radiant loops.
    Charlie from wmass
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    So as a homeowner I am curious. Do these people go back against the original installer for it being completely improper? Should they be entitled to some money back from this installer? I hear these stories and see the garbage work and it really gets me curious what recourse I would have as a homeowner. Obviously getting a good contractor should be a first step, but in a situation like you are fixing what happens? Does the homeowner just eat it?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Paul Pollets
    The homeowner eats it. He said he was very embarrassed to have to call me in to re-do what I bid on 10 years ago. He wanted a warm house and he'll soon have one. Unfortunately, he had to pay twice.
    AlCorelliNYSWEI
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    I think the biggest thing I have learned from this site, if I need HVAC work done come here and only hire someone from this site. Well it will be right once you are finished. After 10 years yeah they are going to eat it. Thanks for the response.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    @Paul - Near boiler piping changing too? Boiler?
    Steve Minnich
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    I walked into an 8 million dollar home a couple weeks ago. A Ranni on demand was powering the radiant system. Right beside was a manoblock that was the ugliest looking thing I ever did see. Not a single pipe was supported prior to entering the joist spaces above. #Spiderweb.

@Paul gotta be some sneaky satisfaction in being able to come back 10 years later and show him your stuff.
  • Paul Pollets
    edited May 2015
    There is a hydronics god. Justice has been served. Here's a pic of the boiler room. Of course the contractor who made this mess went out of business several years ago.
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Beautiful work.I know we dont discuss pricing but I cant imagine.Pity it wasnt done like that the first time.Fostapex is nice to work with .I used it on a job ,good material.I see you crimp does it pay in the long run,i am still on the fence.Thanks for sharing.
  • Paul Pollets
    Thx, Johnny88. We squeeze most of the fittings, still thread black pipe. I converted to press fittings in 2003 and never looked back. It saves a lot of time and eliminates the leak factor.
  • Hilly
    Hilly Member Posts: 427
    That 'staple up' is run of the mil work around my parts. It's disgusting. You cannot even buy transfer plates at one suppler, they're special order because nobody buys them. Its sickening actually.
  • Paul Pollets
    Until there is an enforceable code, or accepted installation standards, it's not going to change. Can't fix stupid.
    Charlie from wmass
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    Paul,

I have to admit when I first looked at the pic of the plates I thought to myself, ah crap whats wrong with that, thats how I do them. Then I saw the lower tubing and felt much better. You are alone, on the rough clients, heres one a friend wanted me to inspect. I had to deliver the bad news of not only can't I inspect but I need to shut it down.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    I like to say. Do it once do it right. Do it cheap and hope you saved enough to do it again.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
  • Paul Pollets
    Tom, is that a colostomy bag attached to the system?
    RobG
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Running potable off the heating system?
  • Paul Pollets
    It had a solar potable system with indirect backup. It was closed loop on the heating side.
  • Patchogue Phil_2
    Patchogue Phil_2 Member Posts: 304
    Didn't there used to be a "Wall of Shame" thread or folder?