Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Unions for steam piping

Options
2»

Comments

• j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    Why on earth would anyone test low gas pressure at 15 psi...omg.....NFPA gas code covers a good part of the states and 15 is never required on low gas pressure....As well if the union is in the jacket sout of the case cock with out useless effort how would you test it under a pressure check. Just asking
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,727
    edited May 2015
    Options
    j a said:

Why on earth would anyone test low gas pressure at 15 psi...omg.....NFPA gas code covers a good part of the states and 15 is never required on low gas pressure....As well if the union is in the jacket sout of the case cock with out useless effort how would you test it under a pressure check. Just asking

Obviously the union after the valve can only be tested @ 7".

I expect the rest of the system to be tested at a much higher pressure and at least in my area, the inspector wanted 10 or 15 PSI.

90% of my gas piping was tested at 40 PSI. Why on earth? Because I could so why not? The other 10% was after the shutoff valves to the appliances.

If it's only tested at 7" WC and you somehow ended up with multiple unions leaking, something is very very wrong.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • j a_2
    Options
    Is this in Massachusetts's
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    j a said:

Is this in Massachusetts's

You've asked me this so many times. :)

No, New Jersey.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • j a_2
    Options
    Exactly now were on the same page
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Don't be hating MA it made me after all.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
    CanuckerZman
  • ChrisJ
    Options

Don't be hating MA it made me after all.

Exactly.
    :p
    j a_2
  • j a_2
    Options
    Question, is 10/15 psi the new Jersey code or the AHJ code...are ur inspections done by real plumbers
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    In a nutshell this is how I see it.Chris you are not a typical diy person and your pics prove it.Unfortunatly to my knowledge you don't install systems for a living.If j a has 35 yrs in the field working in MA I think its fair to say he made it in the traderich or struggling none of my business but he is still operating which in my book says a lot.Think about all the gas pipe he has run.In your house Chris no one does work I assume without your supervision.In j a 's case he does a job and does not know who will follow in 2yrs time.In a previous quote here someone mentioned working with two wrenches,one to tighten one to hold back.I cant tell you how many guys I see with a 18 on a 3/4 line everything swinging in the breeze.This is why unions bother me.They are for people in a rush and who dont know what a left to right is.We are all on the same page,dont play with gas unless you respect it.A lot of guys dont.Thanks guys.
    j a_2
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Actually @jonny88 The few times I've had people work for me I try to stay away from them as much as possible.

I know people hate being stared at.

However, since late 2011 the only people to work in this house have been me and my dad, and @JStar did some tweaks to my boiler back in 2014. @Jstar is one of very few I trust to do work and I have no reason to watch him.

If I need to watch someone, they should not be working on anything I own.
    RobG
  • jonny88
    Options
    Exactly my point we are all on the same page.
  • j a_2
    Options
    jonny88 said:

In a nutshell this is how I see it.Chris you are not a typical diy person and your pics prove it.Unfortunatly to my knowledge you don't install systems for a living.If j a has 35 yrs in the field working in MA I think its fair to say he made it in the traderich or struggling none of my business but he is still operating which in my book says a lot.Think about all the gas pipe he has run.In your house Chris no one does work I assume without your supervision.In j a 's case he does a job and does not know who will follow in 2yrs time.In a previous quote here someone mentioned working with two wrenches,one to tighten one to hold back.I cant tell you how many guys I see with a 18 on a 3/4 line everything swinging in the breeze.This is why unions bother me.They are for people in a rush and who dont know what a left to right is.We are all on the same page,dont play with gas unless you respect it.A lot of guys dont.Thanks guys.

Thanks johnny88 you put it well, that was me as well about two wrenchs. That's one of the very first things you were told....But it is also common sense in our world..I came to this site to learn, and as well share....I totally agree about the gas work should only be done by trained individuals, kinda that's why they they have schools....
    If a homeowner does his own gas work and sells or flips the house it should be disclosed...on sale date....H O people see threaded pipe and how easy it looks to accomplish, it it easy but so is driving a car, but you still require a license...

jonny88
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Once again that's why we have home inspectors and if you're going to claim most don't do their job then I'm going to claim the same for licenced plumbers. You can't have it both ways.

Also, everyone on this site says to use two wrenches not just you.

J a. It seems like you spend most of your time on here making fun of homeowners but may I remind you Dan Holohan is only a homeowner.
    Hatterasguy
  • j a_2
    Options
    Oh well it is what it is....and your opinions and mine do not and most likely never will. Lol
  • ChrisJ
    edited May 2015
    Options
    True except your constant spew of hate for home owners makes me want to stop coming here
  • j a_2
    Options
    You sir a 100 percent off base...and I hate no one ever....please keep this professional...and be careful of such poor judgment of someone you have never ever met...I am a kind and gentle human being, trusted and well liked by anyone I ever worked for in my days....Many many came from this site
  • j a_2
    Options
    Like i said he is off base and so are you...Entire board being who...pretty general statement...But if I hurt your personal feelings, it was not intended.... In the future please send a personal message and not waste space unless it pertains to helping. Hence Heating help
  • jonny88
    Options
    End of my input here some people here take things to personal even when not directed at them.Lighten up and can we get back to heatinghelp.That is why I came here in the first place but lately it seems a couple of people have a gripe up their ****.Lets get back on topic.We come here to learn not to get into bitching sessions which in the field happens all day.
    j a_2
  • j a_2
    Options
    Very good Johnny 88. Mine to