Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need to build a SMALL steam system cheaply

Options
13»

Comments

• Science Researcher
    Science Researcher Member Posts: 17
    Options
    By metal guys I was referring to the manufacturer that we had gone to for the custom alloy. In lieu of the alloy, we will now be using a metal of a single element, as sufficient funding could not be obtained. We are also considering using water instead of steam as a coolant: I am worried though that the water will rapidly expand as it becomes steam and cause an explosion. This metal will need to be heated to a higher temperature than the alloy in previous designs, so we are exploring new heat sources as well including an alcohol-fueled burner.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Obviously, you are proceeding with whatever design you want. We can't help you anyway, because we have no idea what you're trying to accomplish. The only advice we can provide, is, be careful, and have fun.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited June 2015
    Options
    What about a graphite bed as media to dissipate heat from the pipe? Water is a bad idea. What alloy were you trying to get, and what single element metal is your now chosen material?

Also what is the estimated elapsed time this experiment will be running from start to finish?
  • Science Researcher
    Science Researcher Member Posts: 17
    Options
    A graphite bed has not been considered, I will look into that. We already have sand so a sand bath seemed the most facile option. We are still discussing which metal to use, I will update on this when that is determined. I don't know how long the experiment will run, but I don't think it will run for more than 10 minutes at a time.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Graphite is more conductive than sand, and will cool more efficiently.