Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leaking Wet Return

Jeff_H
Jeff_H Member Posts: 37
My wet return is leaking. I noticed rust on the pipe, and am thinking that this could be the culprit.

I have oil heat and the dripping looks like oil, but I don't see how the oil could get into the return.

Any advice? It seems like I need the pipe replaced. With the warm weather, I think that I won't need heat until the fall but do not think I should (and would prefer not to) wait so long to address this.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    It is most likely sludge build up in that leaking pipe. I assume it is a horiontal section of wet return. Yes, it needs to be replaced and the entire wet return should be flushed out if you can and inspected. If you don't already have them, now is also a good time to have a fitting installed at the ends of that wet return that will allow you to flush them out in the future.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,160
    And if one section is leaking, chances are the whole thing is pretty thin. It's just as simple to replace the whole wet return as it is to cut in a section -- simpler.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England