Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

formulas in the field

13»

Comments

• Do you ever get the feeling that every generation goes through this? The older sages looking at the new generation, vexed at how much has been lost? Unfathomably wondering at how much stupider we've become?
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Roll your own. I understand the need for basic math skills and in fact required my students to manually do things like calculate heat loss (A/R *DT) but explain to them that software is a time saver, and that too is important. In today's cell phone technology, you can get free spread sheet apps that will crunch. The numbers for you at light speed, but beware of GIGO, garbage in = garbage out.

Many formulas are available from engineering toolbox.com

And I completely agree with the premise that today's kids are not being taught correctly. They will be lost when the first magnetic pulse bomb goes off and their calculators go blank...

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.