Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

You're in way over your head...

Options
2»

Comments

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    The Wall is great if those reading are willing to listen to the experience of the others who post here. I think the concern is people cherry picking information and miss applying it. The quote is "I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you. " The wall is here to share knowledge.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
    RobGSWEIj a_2
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,708
    Options

The Wall is great if those reading are willing to listen to the experience of the others who post here. I think the concern is people cherry picking information and miss applying it. The quote is "I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you. " The wall is here to share knowledge.

Overall I agree with this thread, as well as your above statement.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    1 Help those that post reasonable questions, or direct them to someone that can
    2 Answer # 2 is as stated above in answers # 1
    ChrisJ
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    As we've seen repeatedly, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but a lot of knowledge is useful. I appreciate all the explanations I've received, even if I had no intention of applying the knowledge myself. It's helped vet those that do the work and troubleshoot when I am over my head, and I just like to understand things.

I've asked specific wiring questions and never go an answer, so I assumed that in itself was the answer: hire a pro, which I did. Unfortunately, I basically had to provide him with all the info received here since he had never done what I needed doing. Eventually I did get my Vstats hooked up to work in some fashion and he left me with a proper diagram to follow when I get 5-wires connected to my Tstat to have it toggle properly. In truth, that was frustrating, but seeing the lightbulb go off in the tech's mind and him get so excited working on my steam system was worth it. Plus, I finally found a company to service my boiler.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,584
    edited April 2015
    Options

I think the concern is people cherry picking information and miss applying it.

Reminds me of an old book I found in my mother in law's book of the month collection printed in 1952. A chief surgeon was dispensing wisdom about not being embarrassed to discuss anything with your doctor and he said 'people who try to cure themselves ' by going to libraries for information and looking for home remedies are committing a slow suicide. Made me think of WebMD. The more things change the more they stay the same.

I better have that hemorrhoid looked at.
    j a_2AlCorelliNYwogpa67
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Or claim it as a dependent.
    wogpa67
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,584
    Options
    LOL! It's too old.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    What bothers me the most are the impatient people that assume we are here to serve them. Most here either have day jobs or a life off the wall. Then there are the ones that come to confirm that what they had planned (or did) is correct and then get belligerent when they are given advice on how it SHOULD be done. Some peoples kids!
    j a_2AlCorelliNYHarvey RamerGordy
  • j a_2
    Options
    Rob thats funny, isn’t that how many of the proposed customers are…I hated to have to tell someone..why 5 times, so I didn’t, I turned and said have a nice day…Never looked back, unless I was called back, and even then mostly didn't...
    wogpa67
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Its like this.

There are some things that I would never do. There are some things that I have done that tested all I had.

If I decide that someone isn't competent to do that something, I am not going to help them along in their quest for danger.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    I agree, Ice.

Chris, the "dislike" was due to fat fingers. I fixed it.
    Steve Minnich
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    edited May 2015
    Options

I agree, Ice.

Chris, the "dislike" was due to fat fingers. I fixed it.

I didn't even notice.
    Thanks for fixing it though.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
  • j a_2
    Options
    ChrisJ said:
    I suggest he work a little overtime at his own job,to pay someone to do the job he is clueless about at his own house…Those are STUPID questions….
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    How would you interpret this one?--NBC

http://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/154647/need-help-with-wiring-up-my-alpine-150#latest

BTW, I have 7 Gravely tractors, an HH Scott console radio with early auto tune, and a Hammarlund HQ. That's what happens when you store instead of dispose!
  • j a_2
    Options
    Next thing is alpine boilers will be drug thru the mud because mr. homeowner can’t understand the boiler someone sold him does not work….If they sell him a boiler they should also sell him a combustion analyzer and a liability policy,along with a license….to install it….How many time have you herd the question,,,why so much I found that exact boiler online for 2999.99…what is your hourly rate ,your price seems high..
    AlCorelliNY
  • AlCorelliNY
    AlCorelliNY Member Posts: 63
    Options
    When hear that BS, I just back slowly out of the boiler room. Let the low bidder deal with customers like that.
    Al Corelli