Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

trapped condensate

Options
smc
smc Member Posts: 18
have a steam boiler small hotel it has a lift pump next to it no level control two main traps above it. recently condensate seems to be trapped, when burner shuts off can suddenly hear large amounts returning tends to add water and will overfill. not much surging, ck valve on returns seems to work, and not bleeding through auto fill. can hear some gurgling when starts like might have partially plugged line.
any ideas? cant put my finger on what it means condensate returns when burner shuts off. thanks scott

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,525
    Options
    need more information. Sounds like it's main trapped to me. One pipe system, two pipe system? How is it piped? Do you have radiator traps in addition to the ones at the condensate receiver.
  • smc
    smc Member Posts: 18
    Options
    its two pipe with traps at radiators. I didn't see any steam coming out of open vent from lift pump. long returns with clamp a leaks I they are going to replace see if looks like plugged at that time
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,287
    Options
    If the traps at the radiators are working, one does have to wonder what the two main traps are doing... besides possibly causing problems. You may have to rethink the main and returns plumbing. No telling what has been added, never mind why.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England