Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Zone Valve Install Location - Supply or Return?

Options
BigRob
BigRob Member Posts: 322
What is the standard location for zone valves? What are the pros and cons for supply and return side installations? A past contractor installed twelve Caleffi Z series valves flowing port B to port A and they slam shut. They will soft close when properly installed with the flow from port A to port B. When I reverse the flow, they will be on the return side. Should I care?

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    No difference. An ECM pump will solve the banging without the hassle of changing PONPC
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    Either supply or return. On supply they can help minimize potential ghost flow. On return the operate in a lower temperature. In either case I agree that a delta P circ would be a nice upgrade, for flow modulation and energy savings.

Good that you will correct flow direction☺️
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    I prefer return. ECM pump should go hand in hand.
  • BigRob
    Options
    Unfortunately, the only ECM I believe fits the bill is a Magna3, which is $$. Any suggestions? I need around 30ft head.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    How big is this house?
  • BigRob
    Options
    The building has 12 condos, one ZV, each. Each condo is 1000sf.
  • SWEI
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Gotcha, thanks.

Why such high head -- are all the zones that bad, or are there just a few problematic ones?

Is the head measured or estimated?
  • BigRob
    Options
    I've always thought it was pretty high. There is a pressure gauge at the pump outlet, so I have been using that, subtracting my fill pressure. I calculated the pressure drop of the radiant slab in each condo. Eight condos have 3 loops and each is pretty long. Four condos have 2 long loops, and require a decent more head, based on calculations, although I did notice a bit of flow noise in one of the condos closest to the pump, which is why I'm thinking constant pressure or proportional pressure would be perfect. I think the slab pressure drops are pretty close to reality and I have the numbers someplace. The slabs are all 1/2" pex. Each feeder to the slab manifolds are 3/4", I believe. There are 1" trunks. I did calculated pressure drops for the feeder and trunks, but they are estimates. I also talked to the installer and he said he thought he used a Taco 0011. The distribution piping design is unknown. To add even more uncertainty, there was a lot of iron oxide in the system. I am adding garden hose nipples near the pump to flush them out soon.

If there is a way to measure the pressure drop for each individual ZV, I would do it. Is there tricky way?

Side note: I was surprised to see the Magna3 proportional pressure window of operation has such a low max head, especially for a pump with 30ft-ish capability.
  • SWEI
    Options
    If you have drain valves on one side of the zones, you can measure the head loss directly. If there are just a few high head zones, you might actually be better of using two different pumps.

As to the Magna3 curves: Properly designed hydronic systems for decent-sized commercial projects rarely require over 30 feet of head IME.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    I think the magna's data log it's performance so you can see peak flow and pressure drop, correct me if I'm wrong about the pressure drop part. You're right, they are big $. I was entertaining one to dial in a residential job where the radiant loops were of unknown spec. But I couldn't justify the cost.
    BigRob
  • BigRob
    Options
    SWEI said:

If you have drain valves on one side of the zones, you can measure the head loss directly. If there are just a few high head zones, you might actually be better of using two different pumps.

As to the Magna3 curves: Properly designed hydronic systems for decent-sized commercial projects rarely require over 30 feet of head IME.

There are no drains near the slab supply/returns- bummer. The new drains will be on the boiler room supply/returns. I'll recalculate the pressure drops and see if they still make sense, just in case.

Let' me know if I'm missing a way to measure the pressure drop.
  • SWEI
    Options
    You could measure them one by one using a single drain and only opening one zone valve at a time. Might put you pretty far up the pump's curve, so I'm not sure how accurately you would get an absolute head per zone (even relative heads would still be useful.)
    BigRob
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Are you measuring the head loss of the existing circulator at whatever flow rate it is operating at? It sounds like you are likely over pumped right now. What is the delta t?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • BigRob
    Options
    I think a couple zones near the boiler room are over pumped when they are individually on. I'm not sure about the delta T in that condo unit.