Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Power pipe threader choices poll

Options
tim smith
tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
Hey all, which power threader is top on your list. Ridgid, Rothenberger or Reed. up to 2". Need to get some new ones and want to see what all think.

Comments

• Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Options
    Ridgid
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,132
    Options
    REMS Tornado is a great option. I think Robert knows where s use one is in the NY area
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Options
    ??
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    Ridgid I guess because you can get parts and dies easily. Reed also makes dies that fit Ridgid equipment. I like most but not all Ridgid equipment. I think the 12R dies especially 1 1/2 & 2" always cut really hard even with new chasers. Never liked them.

I also have a Rems Amigo hand held which is a good tool and the dies hold up well.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    My latest is a used Ridgid 300. Love it.
    Steve Minnich
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
    I bought my gently used ridgid 300 26 years ago. isn't ridgid the standard?
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    EBEBRATT-Ed
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Thanks guys for the replies. I have a couple 300s and one of the ridgid handheld power threaders. Just trying to see if there is something better out there and "lighter" old 300s are getting heavy as all of us here get a little older.
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    Options
    Megapress
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
    4Johnpipe
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Ridgid 300 as Stephen said said I thought it was the standard to.My 20 yr old machine along my Ridgid chain cutter for cast iron have stood the test of time and field repairable if required.Not ready for Mega Press yet used it hated it and even watched as a man with no field experience used it(scary).Let us thread and sweat our pipes please.
    EBEBRATT-Ed
  • Tinman
    Options
    I'm with Johnny 88, especially his last sentence. I read an article recently which implied that anyone still using a torch was a knuckle-dragging Neanderthal incapable of learning and the mechanical trades would soon pass them by. I've been around long enough to know that the next "latest and greatest thing" often isn't.
    Steve Minnich
    EBEBRATT-Edjonny88Zman
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    Who here still carries lead, oakum and yarning irons on their truck? I do!
    jonny88AlCorelliNY
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Thank God for the "knuckle-draggers" that still use the processes by which all these new-comers attempt to measure up to.
    RobGAlCorelliNY
  • Tinman
    Options
    I just got home from work and saw this work being celebrated on Twitter. Not a press tool but you get the point. Is this our future? Say it ain't so...
    Steve Minnich
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
    I can imagine one could get by without a torch or a threader. But then there are the rest of us who care what the project looks like at the end of the day. I am always soldering stuff for esthetics sake.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    jonny88
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    As Gary said Ridgid has the market pretty well cornered, there are other machines that are ok.

I am sure I will get slammed for this but I don't care.

Sooner or later MEGA PRESS, PROPRESS will fail. Victaulic will fail also when run to it's maximum temp (250 deg. #107 couplings and 235 deg for the other stuff) If Vic. is kept under 180-190 it holds up fairly well.

I have Solar systems with rubber O rings that has been overheated and has had leaks. Anything made of rubber will deteriorate when run to it's maximum rated temperature. Time will tell with Megapress and Propress, it's only been 15 years.
  • hot_rod
    Options

??

We're you trying to help sell some of Tom Schwartzs tools? There was a Rems Tornado on the list you posted in the tools section
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • AJCimino
    AJCimino Member Posts: 28
    Options
    Ridgid 300 with the carriage and accessories is hard to beat. I recently bought a Milwaukee Force Logic tool, because it seems everyone is using them. Its alright, but I still prefer solder. I don't carry lead and oakum on the truck, but the tools, along with the lead furnace is always ready in the shop. I still do poured lead joints a few times a year. Unfortunately, pex and sharkbites are becoming the norm.
  • jonny88
    Options
    @Stephan this is our future and it is here right now.What a complete mess but hey it works.Isnt that what the homeowner wants.How did the powers that be in the plumbing boards let this happen.When I went on a refresher class we were told pex had to be run using a homerun system.I seldom see it.By the way this is not a knock on Uponor or Viega just wish they would stick to heating where pex has its place.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    Rigid all the way. I do have Toledo also, as they will thread shorter lengths. I still thread and solder also
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Options
    hot rod said:

??

We're you trying to help sell some of Tom Schwartzs tools? There was a Rems Tornado on the list you posted in the tools section
    Robert O'Brien posted that
  • hot_rod
    Options

hot rod said:

??

Robert O'Brien posted that
    Sorry, better mind by P's an O's
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Was a firm believer in the 300 for many years . Mind changed after setting up and using Wheeler Rex 6090 . The 6090 has been replaced by #8090 . Stores better , easier set up on site , cleaner use . Many who have seen us use and tried switched as fast as they could . We have had our machines now for over 10 years and they are still going strong so the longevity is certainly there and the quality is as good as others mentioned .

http://www.wheelerrex.com/wheeler-rex-professional-tools/downloads/catalog/pdf/wheeler-rex-catalog-pipe-threading-machines.pdf#search="6090"
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • jonny88
    Options
    Hi Rich,does that machine do pipes larger than 1inch.I like the 300 as you can put on the head to thread up to 4 inch.Looks like a nice machine though.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Johnny , the 8090 does 1/2" through 2" . Maybe you did not scroll down to see that unit . My machines are 6090 s which have been re numbered apparently to the 8090 that appears in the link .

They manufacture machines that thread up to very large sizes and there are many adaptors that can be used with many machines that make one capable of threading larger than 2" pipe . If I had to thread alot of larger pipe than 2" I would probably purchase a machine for such applications or rent on an as needed basis .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    300 for light weight use. I have an old Toledo 999 I keep in the shop. I also have one of those Northern tool machines that does 4" through the head. It is good for the money. I also picked it up second hand so the money was less than half of a new one. I can not see a threader holding up if you do much 2" and it is lighter than the 300. They have the dolly wheel for rolling it around if you do not want to throw it on your shoulder anymore.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    That 6590 rex is going on my Christmas list for sure.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
    Rich_49
  • hot_rod
    Options
    If you get a chance try a REMS Tornado demo. They are almost noise free, a quiet sealed motor and precision gear train, very well built.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lWcM3O-i-w0
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    That REMS Tornado looks very nice. I especially like the adapter for making nipples. :)