Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

oil tank conversion

Options
j a_2
j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
Removing a almost new oil tank 270 gallon….anyone have a cut sheet to convert it to a nice grill…For outdoor cooking….Wanting to do that for a long time…..Now I have much more time on my hands…..I have several welding and cutting torches….Thanks

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,677
    Options
    I've seen a few that had this done. The guy that took my tank claimed that's why he wanted it and then a few days later we saw it go down the road in a pickup, likely to be scrapped.

Funny thing was, I just wanted it gone. He didn't need to lie. :)

But yeah, if it's a newish tank and in good shape I'd say go for it. Buy a ton of lump charcoal and cook up a pig.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    For cutting, I would try to wash it out best you can and then maybe even fill it with nitrogen. I don't know how flammable diesel fumes are, but it pays to be over cautious.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    An out of business convenience store near me had an empty UG diesel tank (1000's of gallons) hit by lighting. This caused an explosion from the remaining fumes (1 year or more of being empty). Left a crater in the parking lot.
    Apparently very rare happening and drew a lot of interest by investigators from afar.
  • j a_2
    Options
    Oil not very flammable, same same fuel used in commercial airplanes….When I was an aircraft mech, we used to have to barrel drain fuel cells in aircraft quite often especially when we had to weigh them or go in and seal up leaks [ yup leaks] that were deferred for weeks….Some of us took it home in barrells for home heating…Oil embargo times….When atomized it becomes flammable….Any way i for sure clean it and sand blast it…Then go find a pig to roast….The southern and western quys I was stationed with in southeast asia did it all the time….Us city boys had not a clue…But loved to eat it..
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    Be careful a lot of people have been killed cutting closed containers. Use a sawzall to cut it open. Don't take any chances.
  • j a_2
    Options
    Thanks. Totally understand ...been cutting them out for lots of years....My main stay was oil to gas conversions for Boston gas keyspan and national grid....
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    Follow Ed's advice. Do NOT attempt to cut it open with a torch. Fuel oil isn't all that flammable, true -- but it is somewhat, after all... that's what we use it for! A small pocket of residue or fumes left in the tank can ruin your whole day.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • j a_2
    Options
    Never considered cutting it open with a torch, that would be just plain stupid…..Only said I have them available when it becomes time to start the project of making a grill out of it….After I cut it in half with sawzall….I may only be a plumber, but not that stupid lol
  • Don_197
    Don_197 Member Posts: 184
    Options
    I was teaching a journeyman hvac course this time last year.......and we made it our class project. 270 Gal Oil Tank, split in half and hinged.....3/4" Black Pipe and Fittings for the Handle........expanded metal grill......the right half burner was a rectangular cast iron 150M burner out of a 1962 Crane Boiler that we converted to LP..............the left half burner was one of these http://www.smokedaddyinc.com/pellet-hoppers . I wish I would have taken pictures........it was so much fun! (and yep......you could get a pig on there easy). We took a piece of 18gauge sheet metal and put a bend in it and made a heat deflector out of it. I'm gonna tackle building a smaller version for myself this spring. That one with the oil tank had 1915 sq inches of cooking surface 8-0
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    @ja, obviously you know what your doing, others that don't have your knowledge could read this and think cutting the tank with a torch is ok. Didn't mean to suggest U didn't know what you were doing.
  • j a_2
    Options
    No problem. Anyway tanks are safely removed and with permit
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    So, I'm going to take it that it's probably unsafe to fill it with NO2 and cut with a torch? :)

I figured that would be a lot safer than filled with air.
  • j a_2
    Options
    To all. Thanks for ur concern. Yup safety is number one. I will post a picture of the pug roast....if ur in the Boston area in may. Ur all invited
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    j a said:

To all. Thanks for ur concern. Yup safety is number one. I will post a picture of the pug roast....if ur in the Boston area in may. Ur all invited

What charcoal will you be using?
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    Better be careful. This is a slippery slope you're going down. C
    207.jpg 281.2K
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • j a_2
    Options
    Slippery as?
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    j a said:

Don't let the ASPCA know that you're going to roast a Pug You'll have Sarah McLachlan knocking down the door.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pug
  • j a_2
    Options
    Lol. Plumbers aren't known as great spelers....
    RobG
  • AlCorelliNY
    AlCorelliNY Member Posts: 63
    Options
    A BBQ'd pug, evidently.
    j a said:

Slippery as?

Al Corelli

vaporvac