Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help! Ubearable noise from Taco Hydronic Circulation Pump

Options
heatpumpnoise
heatpumpnoise Member Posts: 2
edited March 2015 in THE MAIN WALL
Hi Everyone,

I've been living in an apartment for 1 month and I've had to deal with this obnoxious noise from the heating system 24/7 which is preventing me from sleeping at night. I narrowed it down to the Taco Hydronic Circulation pump and called the landlord who brought in a plumber. The plumber claims that the noise is normal. I know from extensive research that these units are typically silent or close to it. Can anyone take a look at this video below and tell me what the heck is wrong with this thing so we can get it fixed ASAP?

Thanks!

J

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN-yGeBfAiM

Comments

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    That's not normal. Not even close to it. May be running dry, spring coupler could be bad, impeller bearings could be dry or shot, motor bearings could be bad. Plumber needs to take another look and have the repair parts and time to fix it.
    JWIW465
  • Don_197
    Don_197 Member Posts: 184
    Options
    I've come across quite a few Taco pumps where that noise was coming from the motor bearings.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Brings to mind a used car salesman........."That model is suppose to blow flames out of the tail-pipe".
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Sounds like every bad 3 piece Taco circulator I ever heard. Usually the bearing assembly. Was the motor hot?

When normal, the most noise you hear is a "whooshing" noise from the air fan in the motor cooling it off.

Motor is toasty. Paint missing off the rubber motor mount bearings, and black sludge oil running out of the bearing overflow hole. Noisy seal. And "Plumber" that says that is normal is probably saying that because he knows if he changes it, it will be a long time being paid.

The camera went by awfully fast. I didn't see any fresh oil on the top of the bearing lube hole. And if the bearing was bad and it was just oiled, there would be oil everywhere.

What model pump is that? It looks really new. A complete replacement. Not a cheap pump. Does anyone just change bearing assemblies or just motors anymore?

Does anyone ever put the date changed on the part changed anymore so that when some owner/maintenance person says "It was just changed". like it is your fault it isn't working. But the change date with the name of the changing company says 3/15/09?

Just recently changed.

Another thing. Unlike B&G circulators that come with a tube of oil, Taco's come "pre-Lubricated". Until you oil them the first time when you install them. Unlubricated ones when new, always seem to have that black scuzz weeping out the bottom if they weren't ever lubricated when installed new.

Sid's (and my supplier) sold handy oilers in a plastic bottle with a long plastic tube for oiling far away and hard to get at spots.

Did they even try to oil it?
  • heatpumpnoise
    heatpumpnoise Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone, yeah the motor is very hot, the landlord says he oiled it a month ago.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    Tough situation, we all know the pump needs changing but we all know how landlords can be.:(
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    If it's getting that hot....he will probably be replacing it soon enough.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,142
    Options
    Make sure it is sized properly also.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    What an offer, and how different from another large manufacturer, mentioned above.
    World class!!!!--NBC
    Jean-David Beyer
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    FWIW, and IMO, the motor may be OK but the bearing assembly is bad. End of that discussion.

That wasn't the original pump. The original pump was black. What was? Is that pump being asked to pump to a higher head pressure than the old one? Putting additional load on the motor? Which would cause higher run temperatures.

I've had 1600 Taco's that came with 1/3 HP 1725 RPM motors. They ran so hot doing their job that you could fry eggs on them. As they retired after two years, I replaced them with 1/2 HP 1725 RPM motors and they ran cool forever.

Sometimes, you just need some more Nuts.

Did the "plumber" even attempt to oil that bearing assembly?
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    I am just a home owner, but Taco treated me really well when I had problems with a quite new 007-IFC circulator, and I see that they treat other customers well too. So unlike so many manufacturers who push the product out of the factory and then abandon them.
  • 1tondump
    1tondump Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I learned something tonight about the taco pumps if you have a relay that is kicking your pump on and off and your pump is very noisy try running a jumper around the relay by unplugging both of your black power wires going to your pump and see if your pup quiets down my pump was very noisy and squealing So I put in a jumper and gave it the 120v from the outlet and the pump is as quiet as it can be!
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    This is an old thread. You have a bad switching relay.

Taylor
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    Zman