Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lochinvar CBN / WHN

RJMCTAFO
RJMCTAFO Member Posts: 113
I am in the process of trying to expand my workload towards more gas units. I am thinking I would like to use one boiler line so that I can stock replacement parts for any installations that I do. I like all the things I have read about the WHN. Have also checked out the info on the control and programming.

Has anybody had any experience with the CBN? It looks like a very interesting fit for boiler change outs that don't wanna go wall hung.

Any feedback as to the technical support? I want to make a good decision as far as what I choose.

Thanks.

Comments

• Jeff Elston
    Jeff Elston Member Posts: 289
    Lochinvar's tech support is world class.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    The WHN is a firetube Mod/con. The exchanger was originally designed by Triangle Tube and is now used by several brands. A very good exchanger.
    The CBN is a garden variety copper fin boiler. Standard efficiency, nothing special. The low mass of these boilers has a tendency to make them short cycle in many applications.
    Lochinvar has built a great name for themselves.
    Hopefully this nonsense from their parent company is not contagious. http://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/154183/a-o-smith-water-heater-big-problems-no-help-johnny/p2
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • RJMCTAFO
    RJMCTAFO Member Posts: 113
    Yeah from my research I feel like the fire tube is the way to go for many reasons. Also taking a look at the Htp elite ft. My biggest concern is that if I am going to install a product that I have the parts available to fix it. It is a big up front investment so just wanted to see what the more experienced guys thought.

As far as the CBN. I guess I would just lean more towards a product like the Utica cub. It's at least got a modulating gas valve. Price is right and easy to stock replacement parts.
  • bmwpowere36m3
    bmwpowere36m3 Member Posts: 512
    I just picked up a Lochinvar WHN for my house... and as my father said, "while these new boiler are very efficient and have sophisticated controls... his boiler [Burnham, oil, CI] only has a burner/pump, which he has a spare sitting on the shelf".

While I can't speak to reliability or part sourcing... his comment was that it’s very easy to get replacement/service parts for traditional oil burners and there isn't much to go wrong with them.

I'll attest to Lochinvar's tech support; I've called them numerous times with questions [no issues] and they have been very helpful and knowledgeable.
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    I have put in many CBNs and WHNs and they are both fantastic boilers. I use them both with great results, and as others have stated Lochivar tech support is unsurpassed.

The CBN makes a great budget concious change out for a cast iron boiler as long as you do the math to size it correctly. If you oversize they do tend to short cycle as any low mass boiler will. Given the simplicity of the boiler they do have fairly sophisticated controls with ODR and DHW tank thermostat connections and do have a limited side vent capability on some models using a combustion blower and CPVC venting, however the bolwer kit it extra and the venting distance is limited. The side venting kit is only available on certain size models. Two stage burner does help with short cycling and efficiency.

The WHN is a fantasic boiler that will do far more than the vast majority of installtions actually need. there is rarely any need for external controls as most of it can be done with the stock boiler control. (ODR, DHW priority and temp control, up to three different temp setpoints, night setback for heating and DHW, ramp delays to prevent short cycling, the list goes on.)
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    Hands down the WHN boiler. The horizontal spiral coil heat exchanger will not hold up near as well as the vertical firetube due to byproducts of combustion lay in bottom of horizontal coil heat xrs and with a little condensation tend to corrode the stainless from combustion chamber inward. That is my experience with that type of heat x. Just my .02 worth