Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Threading pipe for slope

Options
13»

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options

I think those threders do a good job, just wish they weren't so heavy. Nobody at our place will use them cept me and they are not interested in them in the least. Another one of Ed's antique tools they say. I like one in my truck cause it covers 4 sizes and it sure is easier to thread by hand than a 12R if you have too. I don't do 1 1/2 or 2" without bringing it with me---even if only to have for a back-up.
    12R not so bad 1 1/4" and down.

Heavy? Really? Yes, a 65R-TC or C may weigh more than a 12R, but not more than the whole box with all the drop in die heads. Sounds like some of those boys are developing a case of Third World Rheumatiz and might need padded wheel barrows to get to the job site. The poor things. It isn't any harder to thread with a 65R than a 12R. Once it is on the pipe, they all weigh about the same. It doesn't weigh as much as a 30 pack of Bud Light.

I know a couple of Amigo's, Juan and Raul who would love to swing that ratchet bar. They work Cheap too.

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've never cut a crooked/drunken thread intentionally.
    But a simple thing I found for oiling is to take an empty Zoom Oiler, pull out the long skinny tube, fill with cutting oil. I put a good dose on the top of the pipe; then as the electric threader runs I stick the oiler tube between dies and chase the dies around, as they rotate to the 9-10 O'clock position I give a good squeeze of oil. It ends up on top of the pipe and the dies pick it up. Seems to put the oil in the right spot with minimal waste. And if the dies grab the spout it is just plastic and free anyway. For a lot of threading you could load several tubes with oil.
    I have about a dozen Audel books/guides gotten from joining a book club in the late 70's. I do see them in used book stores for pennies on the dollar. The proof reading is sometimes lax as one picture describes an "electric boiler in a closet"; the boiler shown has a 6" flue connection into a chimney ;) .
    However there are several old steam systems described in the books, including vapor & vacuum setups, these I found to be interesting having a different description from Dan's books. (Not saying Audel was always correct.)
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,677
    Options
    icesailor said:

I think those threders do a good job, just wish they weren't so heavy. Nobody at our place will use them cept me and they are not interested in them in the least. Another one of Ed's antique tools they say. I like one in my truck cause it covers 4 sizes and it sure is easier to thread by hand than a 12R if you have too. I don't do 1 1/2 or 2" without bringing it with me---even if only to have for a back-up.
    12R not so bad 1 1/4" and down.

Heavy? Really? Yes, a 65R-TC or C may weigh more than a 12R, but not more than the whole box with all the drop in die heads. Sounds like some of those boys are developing a case of Third World Rheumatiz and might need padded wheel barrows to get to the job site. The poor things. It isn't any harder to thread with a 65R than a 12R. Once it is on the pipe, they all weigh about the same. It doesn't weigh as much as a 30 pack of Bud Light.

I know a couple of Amigo's, Juan and Raul who would love to swing that ratchet bar. They work Cheap too.

Seems like guys in the trade must have changed a lot since steam was king. I doubt those guys manually threading 2" and 3" pipe WITHOUT a receding type threader for an entire system would complain about the weight of a 65R.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Charlie from wmass
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,525
    Options
    LOL. Most of them wouldn't be caught dead threading without power
    icesailor
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,677
    Options

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    SWEI
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    Heh.. I remember my dad putting me on manually threading 2" pipe when I was a skinny 9 year old. I need a cheater to get enough leverage to get the threader to turn and that was with me basically putting all my weight onto it.
    Charlie from wmass
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options

Heh.. I remember my dad putting me on manually threading 2" pipe when I was a skinny 9 year old. I need a cheater to get enough leverage to get the threader to turn and that was with me basically putting all my weight onto it.

Parental abuse.

Good thing he didn't put you on the business end of one of those 4-pipe spanners and had you thread some 4" pipe in a geared threader.