Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat Pipe in Apt building forming rust

mixtape
mixtape Member Posts: 2
Currently seeing this in the apartment. Not sure how serious the issue is but looks to get worse every few weeks. Alerted management but they are ignoring the issue. Building has poor management.

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    If management is bad perhaps you should explain to them about the lawsuit from someone getting burned when the pipe lets loose. Usually the threat of litigation gets people into action when nothing else will. If you are seeing external corrosion like that 9 out of 10 times that means a leak has started and won't get better. Is this steam or hot water heat?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    mixtape
  • Obviously something is leaking up above. It must be a riser for a steam system, and the vent or valve at the top must be leaking. When you alerted the management to the problem, what did they say?
    Is this a very low rent apartment?--NBC
    mixtapeZman
  • mixtape
    mixtape Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2015
    This is a steam system I believe. An old (building from around 1947) one and the pipe does get very hot. I am in Astoria, Queens New York. When I alert management they don't say anything or even come to look at the issue. I have even sent them pictures of this issue on a week by week basis. It's not a low rent apartment @ 2k a month for rent. Who should one contact if management is not getting back. Thanks so much for your help!
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    In n.y. Don't they hace 311 number for that
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    i'm guessing the radiator upstairs is leaking, probably from the valve.