Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Raw Propane on Ignition

Options
Hey Everyone:

I service a new HTP Versa Hydro boiler in a rural area of the East Bay. Since it's outside city the city limit, they don't have natural gas service, only propane. I didn't do the install and it was set up properly, but there is a lingering problem. Everything is working fine, but there is the smell of raw propane on ignition. I checked all the connections and they are leak free. The smell of raw propane is there only on ignition and then goes away.

The local HTP rep. says to screw the throttle adjuster (fuel/air mix screw) all the way in and then back it out the same number of turns and that should fix the problem. My customers asks me how that should fix the problem and I can't give him an answer since it doesn't make sense to me either how that would stop a leak. When I called HTP tech. support, they didn't think that was a proper solution either and suggested a gas sniffer to find the source of the smell.

Has anyone had this same problem? Solutions?
8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    If you do gas, you need a sniffer. It might save your live someday.
    That along with a Digital +/- pressure manometer for testing negative pressure valves.

I once wailed on a job to service a backflow. A place I hadn't ever been to. As soon as I walked in the door, I smelled either a dead animal, or Mercaptan,. It was LPG in the building. Or CO unburned exhaust. My CO detector said it wasn't. My Sniffer said that there was gas at extremely low conditions. The closer I got to a crawl space, the heavier it became. I stuck the sniffer probe over the wall and it went nuts, The entire crawl space was filled up with gas from a piece of CSST that was rubbing on a steel beam. The caretaker said it started 5 years before. Everyone said it was a dead animal. There was a light switch outside the crawl space access. Good thing I didn't try the light.

Get a sniffer. For your own safety and piece of mind.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    What is the combustion analyzer saying?
    High and low fire?
    Certainly not normal.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Hey Guys:

Manometer readings are good: ~9" WC on the supply side and a slight negative pressure (-.01 WC) on the manifold side.

Combustion readings: ~10 ppm CO, 9-1/2% CO2.

All the numbers are goods, no?

The smell of propane is there only during ignition.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Alan, I had a similar experience with a Munchy many years ago running on natural gas. Found out that the gasket used between the gas valve and the air intake manifold had a cardboard gasket that had dried out and cracked and was leaking air and fuel on ignition. Once the blower ramped up, the odor went away, but in reality, it was still there, just being masked by the contaminated air being drawn into the combustion process. Look at all gasketing between gas valve and combustion chamber. You can use an approved detergent to fine tune your leak detection.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.