Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Honeywell RTH2410B heat running constantly

Options
Emma44
Emma44 Member Posts: 4
Just installed this thermostat and whatever I set the temp at it comes on and off at 1 degree over/under set temp so the furnace runs non-stop. If it's set at 75 it'll run until it reaches 76 and shut off then come back on when temp drops to 74 and run til it reaches 76 so it's on constantly because it only takes 5 mins for the temp to drop to 74. same with any temp I set it to, 65..... 66 shuts off 64 back on. Isn't this going to use a lot of gas ?
Thank You

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    What type of system did you connect it to?
    I'm not familiar with that model, but the pro models require the installer to setup the stat to match the type of system it's connected to.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Emma44
    Options
    Natural gas, it's set in the gas/oil position not the Electric one
  • Ironman
    Options
    It could be either in the wiring or the installer setup that something's not right.

If youll click on my icon photo and p/m me, I'll be glad to talk you through it on the phone.
    Bob Boan
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Make sure it's set up to match the type of system. Is it forced hot water, hat air, steam?

The thermostat has to know what it's trying to drive. A hot air system can run up to 5X an hour while a steam or gravity hot water system will run 1X (sometimes 2X) an hour. A finned baseboard system will run somewhere between the extremes .

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Emma44
    Options
    It's FHA, there's nothing in the manual on picking a type of system only if it's gas/oil or Electric/heat pump. I'm thinking it may have to do with a differential setting but can't find any way to change it to run up to 2 degrees (instead of one) above set temp and stay off until it gets 2 degrees (again instead of one) below set temp
  • Ironman
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Yes there is. It's step 9 on pages 12-13 in the installation manual.

It has nothing to do with the differential setting.
    Bob Boan
  • Emma44
    Options
    Ok I'll look for it again Thanks
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Emma44 said:

it'll run until it reaches 76 and shut off then come back on when temp drops to 74 and run til it reaches 76 so it's on constantly because it only takes 5 mins for the temp to drop to 74.

Five minutes to drop two degrees Fahrenheit? Where is the thermostat located? If it's in (or near) the discharge from one of your registers or on an outside wall, it could be reporting a temperature that does not properly represent the space. If none of the above are true, you may have an infiltration issue.
    icesailor
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Read the instructions about thermostat installations. I've seen houses where there was no wall to install them and still wire them. I had to use a wireless one,

No thermostats on outside walls.
    No thermostats in hallways.
    No thermostats over heating/cooling supplies.
    No thermostats on drafty locations.