Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old School /New Boiler Install

Options
NYC007
NYC007 Member Posts: 15
edited February 2015 in THE MAIN WALL
Queens, NY, 2013 -1 Pipe -Old Boiler Cracks in November- I call a Supposed heating contractor, someone I know (Bad Move) -to install a new boiler in multi-family unit. Job is done -Since then it takes 1 1/2 to heat up building-5 contractors later everyone has different views how to fix or make it better. This past December, I'm in the Boiler room, talking to the boiler- sitting and staring at the unit and question pops up -My grandmother used some fandangle pressure cooker for something, I used to stare at the thingy on top wiggle as steam came out,WHY isnt this Boiler piped from the Top ? Im by no means a Heating guy, but learning fast. I call SMITH and ask , "Why do you guys make a boiler with a pipe out of the side-They reply "WE DON'T" , thats for a water Jacket" -HOLY !%#@$^^!% was I pissed ! How could this Heating contractor do this -The guy has been plumbing for 20 years!!! and got paid- Well i called him to look at it and casually told him it was done wrong if he could fix, a "mechanic" a helper (who couldn't even pipe dope a fitting) and myself - Not only do they create a 15" Steam pipe to the Header because "They didn't have room, but soon after he wanted $1000.00 for the job -I bought all material ($1800.00) - Well now I get heat 15-30 minutes later -The intense Surging on the sight glass is done-I couldn't even hook the secondary low water cut off on, because the water would vanish and kill the boiler-Thinking back I went through 3 relays, from on off on off on off on the burner. To date he can't admit he ___cked up, and "No problem we'll fix it", he wants his $$ -and adamant about it and WANTS CASH payment lol... He did say to me "This is why I don't do work for friends", I replied "YES, I SEE WHY ITS BECAUSE YOU LOSE EM ALL-- I did say I would cover his expense for his workers, the supposed friendship is shot at this point, Your opinion ? This poor Boiler btw -Smith voided is warranty :(

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    According to their website that unit can be used for steam.
    http://www.smithboiler.com/html/19he-heating-boiler.asp
    Why did they void the warranty? If you are looking for help on how to fix what you have post some pictures from a little further back so we can see all the piping. Is this a one pipe or 2 pipe system?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,366
    Options
    Oh wonderful. If it cheers you up any, that is not the first time I've seen a boiler which can be used either for water or steam, depending on how it is piped and controlled, piped as though it was for hot water but installed on a steam system. It didn't work any better the last time I saw it, either.

It's just. plain. wrong. And, piped as it is, you will never get it to work properly.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    NYC007
  • NYC007
    Options
    Yes, it can be used for Steam or Hot Water -In that Picture they pipped from a 4" cap that is used for Hot Water Application, not for Steam Application-The Steam is from the Top of the Boiler
  • NYC007
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Is This Low Water Cut Off Correct ? Thoughts ? *KC-Jones Yes I will get more Pics -Thank you !
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    What exact model is the boiler? How many sections? You may be able to swap out one or two sections to include top tappings to be used for steam.
  • NYC007
    Options
    I will let you know and show updated pictures Joe I believe its 4 section HB Smith -Again, they did cap off that 4" port and pipe 3" from the Top-pics coming soon~