Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buffer Tank - Pros and Cons?

Steve_210
Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
Got called out early January to a no heat call. ON arrival, found the boiler working over time. Boiler was Green mountain. I think about 45,000 BTUs output. Huge heat loss. I believe they had night time set back. Problem was, boiler was not able to keep up. Reasonably new. The guy who installed claims he was going to install a buffer tank and this would solve the problem. Never done this before - Does is really work? Is it really the correct solution? I'm pretty sure it's the cheapest, but what are the pros and cons? Appreciate any help. This is just a general discussion, no urgency.

Comments

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,134
    I ve used buffer tanks for a variety of reason but to help a boiler keep up with a load, never heard of that one .Ive used them for adding volume to a low volume system ,help cut short cycling on over sized boilers with a lot of mirco zones .I personally like to use them on mod cons with odr and panel rads and multi zoned systems where there are small zone usually under the minuin fire to a mod con .Is the boiler in question unseer sized for the heat lose a buffer tank will do nothing for a undersized boiler unless iam missing something.Peace and good lucl clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
    icesailor
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Clammy: IMO, you're not missing a thing.

It would seem to me that the additional water needed for the Buffer Tank and assorted piping will ADD to the load of the already undersized boiler.

If you have 5# of schitt and only a 10 bag to put it in, and you want to fill it to the top, another bag doesn't help. You need another 5# of schitt to fill it. If you add a 10 gallon buffer tank, how many BTU's does it take to heat the additional water?
  • Steve_210
    Thanks guys that's what I figured, tought maybe I was missing something.it's a Greenmountain boiler showing a output of 37,000 BTUs it's got one single burner.
    I will try to post some pictures but they're bad quality.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,768
    Steve , You never told us how you determined that it was undersized . did you or some other perform a room by room load calculation ? How big is the home , location , anything ?
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Steve_210
    A quick survey was done. Boiler was running, constantly water was definitely circulating, disconnected the power to The circulator boiler reached temperature and shut down.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    If you want to salvage the system the cheapest solution would be to do a heatloss and add another boiler with a staged control. At least that way the owners won't feel like they threw away good money. The only problem is that at that point you own the existing stuff as well.
  • Steve_210
    Thanks Rob but I'd rather stay away, looks like a mess and the other guy tells him the buffer tank will work.
    As per my original question I just wanted to make sure I was not missing anything.
    thanks Steve
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Hello,
    i am unfamiliar with the temps at the time of the year in your area. I noticed you said something about set back. I did not quite catch what type of emitters you were referring to either.
    Nor did i catch how large a buffer tank the other installer or how well insulated ,or what piping arrangement he has concluded would work.

Let me ask if it is all high mass radiant. What size tank storage , the r value of the insulation on it ,what type of injection or mixing system off the tank/s and their location in the home. it was 55 below outside a couple weeks ago here , yesterday it snowed ,the day earlier it rained. were someone to have 2500 gallons storage on a small undersized boiler i could see an advantage in having the storage capacity to roll a handful of days per year as the boiler slaved away at full output/and run off the tank/s . One pays for storage capacity yet, wood boilers are liking to burn hot with scheduled burns for loading fuel .

I also didn't catch what the heat loss of the building might be.

A guy over in Canada came here once and had a question about variable speed injection vs 4 way mixer off his tank. He would fire up his wood boiler, hang out at the house a few days and head back to work in the city for a couple weeks. Sometimes he was home for weeks other times his work drew him away from home. he had 25,000 gallon tank or so. since then , i no longer am inclined to think we need 65000 gallon tanks to make it through long stretches of cold .

:) well, i am likely not to solve your problem today ...just wanted to chirp up as the devils advocate ... in light of correct information might help out a bit in this instance.

it sounds like it is undersized right enough and large storage is not without price yet this is America so you can try anything once . i like figuring out what it would take to make things work even when i consider it to be a bit sketchy on first perusal.
    icesailorGordy
  • Steve_210
    Interesting. The situation was all fintube baseboard and the maximum size buffer tank I would've tought would be 50 gallon