Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boston snow

Options
Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,416
Just watching the news on Boston getting slammed with snow. Would a snowmelt roof be an option to install? Just run some 1/2 tubbing in the rafters with insulation underneath so the heat goes up. Put a flat plate heat exchanger for heating anti-freeze with a pump.

Comments

• Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    Anything is possible but not much of a need for that. I've only had to shovel a roof once in my life in fear of it collapsing and that was back in '79 at my parent's home. The snow was so high we could walk off the roof practically.
    Steve Minnich
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,364
    Options
    You don't need to melt the whole roof -- or you shouldn't have to anyway. What is sometimes needed is to melt -- in a sort of zig-zag pattern -- drainage ways at the eaves and say 2 feet back, so that any melt water which occurs under the snow (and it will) has a place to run off and not freeze and make an ice dam -- and then get up under the shingles and make a nuisance inside. Lots of folks use an electric resistance heat cable for that -- doesn't take that much heat -- but I suppose you could put a bit of pipe up there...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    True. Products like Raychem are used all the time for ice damming.
    Steve Minnich
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    I see no problem with that. Properly designed you could use it for some solar collection during the summer.

I know a guy who did it.
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,416
    Options
    I'm just thinking of my moms house I hace access to the attic, just run a line all the way from basement to attic put one inch going up there then some 3/4 inch loops. Then some insulation to keep the heat to go up. Matt just make that a zone that you can just drain when not in use.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    A decent snow/roof rake is used occasionally for a snow like that.