Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

new to this, need help with hissing, steaming vent

Options
Hi All

I need help with a hissing, steaming vent on top of a pipe in my kitchen. When the boiler starts up, it clangs for a short bit and then it hisses and steams for a long time before it quiets down. The pipe is 5" in circumference and the vent that is currently on there is a Hoffman No. 41 (at least that's what's stamped on it). Will a different vent fix the hissing? I'm on the sixth (top) floor of a building from the 20s.

I'm new to the area and this is my first experience living in a steam building. I found out the super started a two week vacation when I moved in and complained about the sputtering and clanging radiators. I spent the last few days reading online and swapped out vents on the radiators that were clanging and sputtering, they're quiet now. I'm a bit strapped for cash right now and anyway I'd like to know more about steam heat as I'm going to be living with it now. Thanks in advance for any help!
pipe.png 168.7K

Comments

• Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    A picture a bit further out might help. That might be a vent to vent the riser. *shrug*
    KC_Jones
  • nycnewbie
    nycnewbie Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Ok. Here's a photo a further out. The layout of the kitchen forces the weird angle....

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    I think that is a vent for the riser in the building. Probably needs a much larger vent, like a Gorton #2 Or even a couple of them but that would require the tapping to be opened up to 1/2". I wonder what the Boiler pressure is running at? Lowering the pressure will help also and save the Landlord fuel money.
    KC_Jones
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    Almost certainly a vent for the riser since you are on the top floor. I think Fred is onto something. The pressure is a possibility, but if you have been able to tame the other rads it's hard to say. Too high of system pressure can kill vents so time will tell if your other vents hold up or not. It would probably be good to know system pressure, if they know and if they will even tell you.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • nycnewbie
    nycnewbie Member Posts: 3
    Options
    OK, I'll try to find the system pressure... Thanks!
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    You could actually install a gauge on that port where the vent is.