Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Near boiler piping drawing

Options
maybemark
maybemark Member Posts: 1,131
Hi everyone
I have to say, I want to thank everyone who has helped me to get to this point, of making my own drawing. I am not a boiler man at all, I'm a general contractor, that my old school plumber friend will install.

To the people that have no knowledge of me and my project, I will ,make a short detail of my house. 1 heating zone.
I live in Chicago, in a brick house about 2400 sq feet. I already did the heat loss and the btu output of the oversized and too many cast iron radiators I have on the 1st and 2nd floor. Right now there are no working radiators in the basement, but from the huge existing boiler, it stays about 55 degrees.

My house at one time was a gravity system, that was converted years ago to using a pump. The existing boiler in there I had put in 35 years ago, but all the old 2" mains (2-pipe hot water) and some 3" is still in the basement. I have 2 pair of mains running down my basement (alot of water)

Many of you were nice enough to leed me to the purchase of a Lochinvar whn085 and a Locinvar 40 gal tank. It was also suggested by many, to use single temp zones, with circs. 1 zone for heat, 1 zone for the DHW. This frawing i made, is based off of this.

Again, I am not a boiler man, there may be many mistakes on here. If you see something, it sure won't offend mne on you telling me what you think. You guys are the professionals. The little I know is from you guys, your suggestions, you telling me yes, telling me NO.

When your available to look and give comments, i truely would appreciate it. Even if you feel that this is the wrong drawing, and i should use a P/S system, my ears are open
thanks
mark

Comments

• maybemark
    Options
    comments please
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,364
    Options
    Mark -- I would, but I'm no hydronics type!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • maybemark
    Options
    Jamie
    Please, say what's on your mind.
    comments, parts in wrong places, criticism, looks ok, sloppy, can't understand it, It won't fly, it won't work.
    Please, i can take it.
    I think I found a mistake already, i think I need to move the system sensorout of the heat loop and before it gets to the loop[, like right next to the air seperator,

Jamie, or anyone else

what do you think?
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,416
    Options
    I would you the collafi 4 in 1 hydro seperator
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Don't kill yourself with all that ugly , pita piping . Get rid of the dirt mag , get rid of the air separator , get rid of the closely spaced tees . Use one Caleffi Sep4 . Now your hydraulically separated , removing air and dirt (magnetically) and cleaned the whole thing up and that 4 hours worth of work took 30 minutes . Now it will be nice to work on also . Now just put 2 supply and return pipes to the system side of the Sep4 , purge arrangements , pumps , expansion tank and auto fill , (not in that order) . you'll save a bunch of cash , time , aggravation . Use flanges with isolation valves also , get a check valve in that indirect piping .

Hot water , turn that mixer so that you don't encounter all that nasty energy wasting thermal migration . Come out of the hot outlet turn 90*s go over a bit then turn 90*s down and feed the mixing valve there , pipe the rest of it as necessary . AHJ may want a BFP device on that cold also , be prepared if it is not a DWHX in the indirect .

You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    He's direct pumping the system, so no need for a hydro sep on this one. He's bought most of the parts already.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Understood , was not aware .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • SWEI
    Options
    Easy to get lost in the 1,000+ posts regarding this system.
    RobG
  • maybemark
    Options
    Snowmelt
    I already bought my parts, that is showing on the drawing. The seperator you mentioned, is that in addation to what you see in my drawing? Where would it be placed?

If i am looking at the proper part, that's an expensive part.
    I do appreciate what you would do, for my knowledge, why would you put this part in your system?

thanks for comment
    Mark
  • maybemark
    Options
    I thank all for the comments, as SWEI said, I already bought all the part on what alot of people suggested. I try to listen to everyone and then i made a decision on how i thought it should be, my plumber is not doing this project tomorrow, so, your comments are welcome, and will be considered. I thank you for them
    I just looked at the part online, it seems like it does alot, very expensive.

thanks for your comments
    please keep them coming
    Mark
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,416
    Options
    It simplifies everything in a good way, you get what you pay for, if you just add some sentinel in your system, then that would be complete. You do need an air speraration, you do need dirt & magnet separation, also the hydronic seperator slows and mixes the water. I love this device. On you tube it has a little documentary on this item. If you have all your items just go get the hydronic seperator from taco. That would also work, what I like about them it makes your closely spaced tee's more engineered, they supply a little mass and come with a dirt Seperater and an air vent on top.
  • SWEI
    Options
    Please read at least some of the ~450 posts the OP has made before jumping in here.
    Rich_49GordyTinmanRobG
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Don't re-invent the wheel. Figure 6-10. http://s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/WHN085-Install.pdf
  • maybemark
    Options
    Paul
    I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel, you were very close with fig 6-10.
    I basicly coppied pg 47 and drew it good for my project
    but I do thank you for your comment
    mark
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Now look for the mistakes you made vs. the manufacturers drawings. Figure 6-10, less the zone valves and diff. pressure bypass.
  • maybemark
    Options
    Paul
    thanks for your comments
    I was looking at that figure, before others directed me to pg 47.
    I did consider it
    thanks
    Mark