Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A solution to those nagging 1,000 foot loops of 1/2" PEX...

Options
Mark Eatherton
Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
And you won't need a boiler if you wrap some copper pipe around the motor serving the pump. As Siggy said, might be an issue finding the right flanges to adapt to 1/2" PEX, but I assured him that Viega has bushings and ProPress fittings to make it work. Happy Friday friends.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    "Well ya wonder why I always dress in black..."
    Steve Minnich
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    What's the head pressure?
  • Mark Eatherton
    Options
    Chris, I honestly don't know, and wouldn't advise that anyone attempt to install a pump of this size in a residential setting. It was just the biggest friggin' pump I'd ever seen at a trade show. I tried to get Siggy to stand in front of it so I could take his picture, but he thought better... This was a 480 V, 3 phase pump typically used for cooling tower applications.

ME

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,538
    Options
    We videotaped at Armstrong and I also enjoyed standing near that big boy (the pump, not Mark).
    Retired and loving it.
  • icesailor
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ME, you just don't understand human nature.

Someone, somewhere, is planning out a way to use that pump in a 3,000 square foot radiant floor with one loop.

With a mixer.

That's just a fact.
    CanuckerAlCorelliNYMark Eatherton
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Dead heading would be quite spectacular.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,192
    Options
    I saw a guy taking a nap inside that volute :) Or maybe it was an elf.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Mark Eatherton
    Options
    Kirk Vigil of Grundfos said they make one that you can actually stand fully upright in the flanges. Now THAT'S a pump...

ME

• Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Ice, I was on a gardening site yesterday and a fellow who listed himself as the ultimate diy'er is going to put radiant in his 1200 sq ft home with a tankless. He felt that in spite of what he had read on some sites that he could do it with up to 1000' loops. It's like Monty Python where the knight goes into the cave and the rabbits kill the knights. "Run away, Run away!"
  • Gordy
    Options
    Jack said:

Ice, I was on a gardening site yesterday and a fellow who listed himself as the ultimate diy'er is going to put radiant in his 1200 sq ft home with a tankless. He felt that in spite of what he had read on some sites that he could do it with up to 1000' loops. It's like Monty Python where the knight goes into the cave and the rabbits kill the knights. "Run away, Run away!"

The outcome will be acceptable because he did it himself, and doesnt know what is acceptable. OR you will never hear the outcome. Well you might because he will end up here looking for that 4 way reversing valve set up.

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Gordy said:

he will end up here looking for that 4 way reversing valve set up.

I'm wondering if I should put together a little package for that and advertise it online...
  • Gordy
    Options
    SWEI said:

Gordy said:

he will end up here looking for that 4 way reversing valve set up.

I'm wondering if I should put together a little package for that and advertise it online...
    Might be a money maker. Explicit instructions to throw away before you begin would be required. Use toilet paper to maximize profits.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,192
    Options
    I've built a few of those reverses, the last with a tekmar 4 way and heavy duty Belimo actuator. Remember they also need a high head circ included. A reverser on a 1000 foot loop with a 15-58 size circ would not do much.

With a 26-99 size circ and a reverser you can get some fairly good results.

A lot depends on the loop layout as with reversers you warm both ends of the loop, but the middle 1/3rd still sees low supply temperatures, you just sneak up on the load from two different directions
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Mark Eatherton
  • icesailor
    Options
    Fear not. The DIY will use a iron body 007 because it is cheap.

And someone on the Internets told him that the 007 "Might work for you. I've never seen it ever work for anyone else, but it might work for you". Not understanding the context of the encouragement, he went right ahead.

It reminds me of something my mother used to tell me when I was really little. About the person who wanted to do things.

There once was a thing,
    That couldn't be done.
    They said no one could do it.
    So he tackled the thing,
    That couldn't be done,
    And by God, he couldn't do it.
  • archibald tuttle
    archibald tuttle Member Posts: 1,085
    Options
    every once and a while the poem comes out different for me . . .

but 'seriously', that pump is a real help for those of us who prefer 3/8" loops.
    icesailor
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options

but 'seriously', that pump is a real help for those of us who prefer 3/8" loops.

Seven hundred of them in parallel across an airport hanger slab?
    icesailor
  • archibald tuttle
    Options
    with that pump maybe i could do series . . . not
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    That pump could put a golf ball through a garden hose.
    bmwpowere36m3TinmanCanuckerZman
  • Gordy
    Options
    null

Ouch!
  • archibald tuttle
    Options
    Gordy said:

Ouch!

only if you're the garden hose

• Ken Mac
    Ken Mac Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Maybe he was going to use 3/4" or 1"... or maybe not!
    Jack said:

icesailor
  • Gordy
    Options
    null

Good luck to him he could be on animal planet wrestling anacondas on the Amazon.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    Nice! :) No longer will there be a problem with which circ wins the battle. A wall of them and you are "Golden" .

lol... It is as Mark said , "no need for a boiler" . No more short cycling in shoulder seasons , lash it up primary secondary to a LLH . Shut down the boilers and move wire to water.
    Sweet!