Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Possible to eliminate ugly indoor ventilation bulkhead and replace it with something new?

My condo has gas heat and built in the 1970's. There is an ugly ventilation bulkhead that runs down the ceiling of the living/dining area. Is it possible to eliminate the bulkhead and replace it with a newer ventilation that is built into the ceiling?

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    What does this "Bulkhead" look like?
  • Renothecondo
    Renothecondo Member Posts: 3
    It's like a hanging rectangular box that runs along the ceiling the length of the room...and abutts the wall. I'll try to attach a picture.
  • wchevron
    wchevron Member Posts: 12
    Is it a sheetrocked soffit below the ceiling. If so, I'm assuming your ductwork main trunkline runs in it. No way to get rid of it if that's the case.
    icesailor
  • Renothecondo
    Renothecondo Member Posts: 3
    Ok, well thanks for your reply. That's what I was told by someone else but thought I'd get another opinion. I really appreciate it. :-)
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    Your "bulkhead" is not really providing ventilation as no air is being vented.. It is heating your house by using forced (scorched) air heat.
    I agree that you most likely cannot remove the duct and keep the forced air. If you are doing extensive renovating it might be worth considering a hot water system. You can move a similar amount of energy using (2)-3/4" pipes that could drilled through the joists. You would also eliminate the dusty nasty air blowing around.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein