Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Differential Bypass Valve Placement

Options
solpan
solpan Member Posts: 5
Hi,
I want to add a radiator to an existing water system. I plan on adding a loop and a circulater strictly for this radiator. If I would install a TRV on the radiator I would assume I need a Differential Bypass Valve. Is this the proper location? I attached a picture.

Thanks

Comments

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Will this lone radiator be a single zone ? How will it be controlled , on/off or constant circulation ? The bypass valve should be between the supply and return to the radiator and before the TRV . Hope you intend n using a really small pump . Is this a different zone than all other heat emitters ?
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • solpan
    Options
    it will not be its own zone. whenever the tstat turns on the main pump it will turn on this additional pump. is there any problem by placing the dbpv on the supply with a loop? I have seen it being done is it a bad design?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,192
    Options
    why the two pumps?
    Add the new radiator loop and install a delta p circ. When the TRVed rad calls the pump will make the necessary flow adjustment.

How many zones in the system now?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • solpan
    Options
    what will force the water through the new loop?
  • solpan
    Options
    the system is only one zone
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,192
    Options
    same circulator that is flowing thru the current loop, if you pipe it correctly. Maybe a drawing of what you currently have would clear it up. Is it a single pump single zone system?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Why would a 1 zone system that is not piped primary secondary need 2 circs? If you are trying to maintain minimum boiler flow using a differential bipass, what you have drawn is not correct. That water will just make a loop around the circ and not through the boiler.
    I think more details or drawing or picture is needed.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    When this new pump runs, will it make all the other radiators on the single zone get hot because it is initiating flow from the boiler and through the zone?